Alek Wek in Dior
It’s the biggest night in fashion of the year and for the past four years, we have been covering the annual Met Gala. This year’s theme was Punk: Chaos to Couture and the celebrities did it well. Here – Dakota Fanning looks phenomenal in Rodarte.
All photos by Style
Click the cut below for more amazing looks from your favorite celebrities, designers, and models.
Can you believe that the model is celebrating her 21st birthday? My life feels so inadequate next to hers – the girl has done everything!
I may not be a regular at Victoria’s Secret, but I am a huge fan of the annual fashion show that airs on CBS every winter. I’ve always had an interest in runway shows, but what sets this one apart from all the others is that the models actually LOOK like they are having fun. Seriously, don’t you agree? They’re smiling, they’re dancing…there’s 300 pounds of glitter on the runway. Just picture that for a second. You would die if 300 pounds of glitter were on top of you. And that’s scary, but that’s what makes the show so successful. Well, that and all the models and the lingerie you know…
And now a tribute to my favorite Angels!
- Psychologists have done a recent study in which they discovered that songs with sexual lyrics really do sell! [Source]
- Doug Franco, the father of James, Dave and Tom Franco has passed away. [Source]
- Critics gave Kanye’s first showing in Paris rough reviews. [Source]
- One of my favorite groups from the late 90′s – Garbage – will be releasing their new album in 2012. Yarp! [Source]
- Madonna may be performing at this year’s Super Bowl halftime show. [Source]
-NBC is officially pulling the plug on The Playboy Club after three episodes – really excited I never became invested in that. [Source]
-Blake Lively and Leonardo DiCaprio have officially split. [Source]
- Converse and Marimekko will collaborate on a holiday collection. [Source]
- Adele cancels US tour due to vocal illness again. [Source]
- Remember when we thought Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen’s $39,000 crocodile backpack would never sell? It did. In fact, it sold out. [Source]
- Kanye West took out “mother-effing loans” to snag the best models for his first show in Paris. Also…is he now dating Chanel Iman?! [Source]
- The news that Jason Wu would be collaborating with Target was JUST ANNOUNCED, but already a sketch has been released for a beautiful LBD inspired by style icon Audrey Hepburn! [Source]
- Seattle based Izilla Toys has gone out of business entirely. Two months ago, their store on 12th Ave had closed and today it was announced that they would be closing their Wallingford location as well. The 12th Ave spot will now be turned into a new burger bar called “Manhattan Drugs.” [Source]
- Could this be the end of The Simpsons? [Source]
- Garrett Michael Brown is the new Chef de Cuisine at one my favorite restaurants Oddfellows on the hill. Nomz. [Source]
- Capitol Hill’s two newest restaurants Altura on Broadway and Momiji on 12th Ave will open tomorrow! Oola Distillery will open on Thursday. Hurray for booming new eateries and…drinkeries on the hill! [Source]
François-Henri Pinault with Salma Hayek both in Alexander McQueen
There was an unbelievable amount of love for Alexander McQueen and Stella McCartney at this year’s 2011 Met Ball. I think out of all the Met Ball’s I have seen, this one has provided the most looks that I have fallen in love with. Well done everyone.
This year’s theme was in tribute to the late designer Alexander McQueen as the museum debuted a new exhibition in his name. Since there were so many attendees this year, I decided to post only my favorite looks (and a few others) – don’t worry, it’s still pretty image heavy!
Where was Camilla Belle this year?
Just like there are social hierarchys in real life, you might easily believe that the fashion world reflects the same idea. The celebrities and the wealthy stick to high end designers, boutiques, and even slipping themselves into couture from all over the world. Everyone else that does not fit into the above category sticks to generic brands and those buildings with many shops in them called malls. So when Natalie Portman decided to throw on this Rodarte for Target dress (for the normal people) I was shocked! (Yep, the same kind of shock I found myself in when I realized Chanel Iman and I had purchased the floral print dress from H&M months ago!) This is about a $75 dress I would assume. It’s a great dress nonetheless, but why is she wearing this one when she could have her pick of any other dress in the world?! This is just one more reason why I adore her.
What have we learned from this picture:
1) Natalie Portman is fantastic.
2) She knew how to mix high end with low end (of course)
3) She makes this Rodarte for Target dress more appealing. How many girls today went and thought, “I want this dress because N. Portman wore it.” At least one :)
Vera Wang recently handpicked Zoe Kravitz to become the new face of the popular Vera Wang Princess replacing Camilla Belle. As much as I love Camilla Belle, there’s no denying that this ad isn’t fantastic.
In other model news…
Chanel Iman is the newest Victoria’s Secret angel!