It hurts my heart a little to know that I will have to raise my future kids in a world where Hostess branded Twinkies and Chocolate Cupcakes no longer exist.
For as long as I can remember, we have always had a Marie Callendar pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. About two years ago, the only location in the entire state of Washington closed. I can’t even remember where we got our pie last year, but it was not so great. No one does it like Marie can. This year, we will be running into the same dilemma and I am in dire need of suggestions.
Seattlelites – ASSEMBLE! Throw out your suggestions so that I do not have to disappoint my family this year.
Also here is what is out of the question:
We’re looking for quality here.
Last night Natina Reed of the girl group Blaque was killed in a hit-and-run accident as she was walking across the street in Atlanta, Georgia. Blaque was one of my favorite groups growing up and even had key roles in the cheerleading flick “Bring It On.” The girl group was said to be on the verge of making a comeback. Natina was 32 years old.
Sons of Anarchy actor Johnny Lewis was found dead yesterday and is also being considered a murder suspect. His body was found at the home of a 70-year old woman who he is also suspected of murdering. Johnny Lewis previously had roles on The OC (my favorite,) Criminal Minds (where he played a murderer,) and Quintuplets. I actually met him when I was 14 and have pictures with the guy!
This is all a little bit strange though…
Google is known for being one of the best places to work for. Their benefits package is top notch – not to mention they added bonuses and food perks, but last night I learned about one more part about their package that makes me admire the company even more. Google offers something called the death-benefits package, which goes directly to the family of the deceased.
Should someone pass away while employed by Google, that person’s surviving spouse or domestic partner will receive a check for 50 percent of the deceased’s salary. And that spouse or domestic partner will receive that check every year. For the next decade…And any children of the decease, furthermore, will receive $1,000 a month from Google until age 19. Which gets amended to age 23 if those children are full-time students.
Um. Awesome. To read more about how Google is better than your workplace, click here.
I would like to extend my condolences to all those affected in the Aurora, CO shooting today. I am saddened that these acts of violence are continuing in our country and that my generation has had to grow up with these awful memories and recollections. Seeing a movie in a movie theater on the night of its premiere is an exciting moment especially for a movie that has been highly anticipated. It is the type of activity that enables all of us for maybe just two hours to leave our reality behind and enter someone else’s creation. It upsets me that today’s event has made those around us terrified of this – terrified of something that was made to be enjoyable.
My prayers are with all of the victims tonight.
Swedish House Mafia has broken up and to honor Axwell, Sebastian Ingrosso and Steve Angello and their music, they are the Song of the Day today. Now, everyone knows by now that I am not a fan of raves and that I will probably never spend money on one, but I have enjoyed house/electronic music for years since my brother and I grew up on C89.5 and regardless, I don’t need to go to a rave to like this type of music.
Unfortunately, I’m a little behind on my news having not blogged consistently for the past couple of weeks, but this is the best I could do!
- Designer Tracy Feith will design for TOMS Shoes. The designer was known for his highly successful collection for Target. [Source]
- Vogue has announced that they will no longer be working with models under the age of 16 or models who look unhealthy. [Source]
- Justin Timberlake is still not returning to music because he’s too busy working on a design line for HomeMint. [Source]
- The Wanted’s latest track, “Chasing the Sun” will be used as the title track for Ice Age 4: Continental Drift. [Source]
- Earlier this week, a first-grader was suspended for singing the line “I’m sexy and I know it” from LMFAO’s latest song. [Source]
- Teen Wolf Season 2. It’s almost here. [Source]
- Will Jeopardy host, Alex Trabek, leave the show? I sure hope not. [Source]
- Britney Spears and Demi Lovato have joined The X Factor. [Source]
- The Jonas Brothers are getting a reality show on E! y’all! [Source]
- Twilight’s Kellan Lutz has just signed on to play Tarzan in the new animated film. [Source]
- And yet another trailer for The Amazing Spider Man.
- Outkast’s Andre 3000 will begin shooting for the Jimi Hendrix biopic next month. [Source]
- The Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) lineup is up! [Source]
- A new Seattle spot is opening up and it is dedicated to one of my favorite desserts – the Molten Chocolate Cake. Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery will open up later on this month. [Source]
- Demi Moore has officially changed her Twitter handle. [Source]
- Jessica Simpson finally gave birth to a baby girl named Maxwell Drew Johnson.
- RIP to the Beastie Boys’ Adam “MCA” Youch. He passed away Friday at age 47 after battling cancer for two years.
- Kings of Leon’s Jared Followill has proposed to model Martha Patterson. The two have been dating for only a few months. [Source]
- SNL’s Taran Killam and HIMYM’s Cobie Smulders will marry this September. [Source]
- Alexa Chung has made her Instagram private after several of her followers left comments for her on this picture saying that she was too thin. She responded, “Ok everyone thanks for the teen angst discussions. People are different sizes. I’m not trying to be thinspo for anyone.” [Source]
- Rag & Bone will launch a handbag line this fall. [Source]
- Nicki Minaj will develop her own fragrance. [Source]
- This photo of two models kissing in Urban Outfitters’ latest catalog has stirred up some controversy with the One Million Moms (OMM) Organization.
“The content is offensive and inappropriate for a teen who is the company’s target customer.” And they’re asking supporters to boycott the retailer: “Tell them you will also no longer shop at their stores if you hear this type of advertising continues.”
Whatever, man. There’s always some organization that brings up this issue every month. [Source]
- Marchesa may be launching a contemporary line very soon. [Source]
- I’ve been waiting for this album, but I don’t have to wait much longer since Metric’s “Synthetica” will be out June 12. [Source]
- After debuting Tupac’s hologram at Coachella this past weekend, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg are now considering taking it on tour with them. [Source]
- Zooey totally sold me on the iPhone 4s in this commercial. It was the tomato soup.
- NBC will stream the entire 2012 Summer Olympics in London. I get that it’s popular these days, but it’s gonna be on NBC all day every day. [Source]
- MTV’s Teen Wolf will return in June for their second season. [Source]
- The Seattle Center will partner with Coca-Cola and name them the “official beverage” of the space and will celebrate them at their Next Fifty event. [Source]
- Congratulations to The Stranger writer, Eli Sanders, for his Pulitzer on feature writing! So much of my Seattle news comes from this blog so I think credit should be given when deserved. [Source]
- Tru Blood stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are expecting. [Source]
- Angelina Jolie’s engagement ring from Brad Pitt is reportedly worth $1 million dollars. [Source
- Kanye West apparently broke up with Kim Kardashian via text. [Source]
- Dick Clark has passed away after suffering a heart attack. He was 82 years old. [Source]
- Victoria Beckham’s birthday cake…is not a real cake. It’s fruit. [Source]
- Bloggers are making their mark on the world! The Man Repeller’s Leandra Medine will be releasing a new book slated for next year. [Source]
- Pinterest puts their foot down when it comes to thinspiration images on their website. [Source]
- Could H&M be on the verge of launching a luxury brand? [Source]
- The lyrics slay me.
- Britney Spears is joining X Factor y’all! [Source]
- Maroon 5′s new album “Overexposed” will be released in June. [Source]
- A new MGMT record will be released this September! [Source]
- Australian music group, Jet, has decided to part ways. [Source]
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros will release their second album together by the end of the year. [Source]
- A Hunger Games vacation. [Source]
- JJ Abrams isn’t letting anyone see Star Trek 2 before it comes out! [Source]
- The Weinstein Company has decided to retaliate against the MPAA and will release the new documentary, “Bully,” as unrated. [Source]
- Direct R.J. Cutler (The September Issue) will direct yet another fashion-based film. [Source]
- We said goodbye to one of my favorite series, Skins. [Source]
- Teen Mom 2 star Jenelle is going under the knife. [Source]
- Mike “The Situation” has checked into rehab for prescription pills and alcohol. [Source]
- 30 Rock will do another live episode next month. [Source]
- Lifetime has pulled a controversial episode of Dance Moms featuring the young girls as little showgirls. [Source]
- Jo Rivera from Teen Mom 2 attempts a rap career. [Source]
- Here’s a first look at AnnaSophia Robb as a young Carrie Bradshaw. [Source]
- Camille Grammer is not returning to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. [Source]
- ABC Family has picked up the network rights to The Hunger Games – will air in 2014. [Source]
- Jimmy Kimmel will host the Emmy’s! [Source]
- Everyday Music has officially moved across the street. [Source]
- Ballard burger spot, The Counter, has closed. [Source]
- A store I recently discovered while in San Francisco, Bevmo, will open up two locations in Washington in Silverdale and Tacoma. Um…I think they really meant Seattle, but that’s not happening. [Source]
- Seattle Restaurant Week begins April 8th! [Source]
- There is a Vintage Wedding Fair going down this weekend. Swoon swoon swoon. [Source]
- Miami Heat show their support for Trayvon Martin. [Source]
- Jason Russell’s naked meltdown was because of a brief reactive psychosis. [Source]
- Tori Spelling is pregnant again. [Source]
- Kim’s flour shower. [Source]
- Megan Fox has spent $60K + on plastic surgery. [Source] Yikes.
- Hilary Duff gave birth to son Luca last week.
- Khloe Kardashian turns her back on PETA after her sister’s incident. [Source]
- VS Angel Adriana Lima is also pregnant. [Source]
- Supermodel Agyness Deyn came forward earlier this week to announce that she is 29-years old, which is six years older than the age stated on her CV. [Source]
- Stefano Pilati has “left the YSL building.” Pilati has been the creative director over at YSL since 2004. [Source]
- Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast is designing a line for Urban Outfitters. [Source]
- Glee’s Idina Menzel will be going on tour. [Source]
- Warner Music has launched a YouTube channel. [Source]
- Despicable Me 2 teaser trailer
- Emma Watson will star in Sofia Coppola’s new film titled, “The Bling Ring” about a group of fashion-obsessed teenagers who break into the homes of celebrities and eventually get caught. It’s inspired by a true story…and Lifetime already did it…last year. [Source]
- Lindsay will make her 239479th comeback this weekend when she hosts Saturday Night Live.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt turned her Lifetime movie, The Client List into Lifetime television series, The Client List. [Source]
- Bristol Palin is getting a docuseries on Lifetime. “This show will reveal the real Bristol Palin and her journey as a daughter, a mother and a young woman making her way in the world.” Um…what?!
- Meet the newest contestants for Dancing With the Stars. [Source]
- Casting has begun for the new CW Sex and the City prequel pilot, The Carrie Diaries, and it looks like AnnaSophia Robb will play a young Carrie. [Source]
- Oprah Winfrey will interview the late Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown’s daughter Bobbi Kristina exclusively, which will air on Sunday, March 11th at 9PM on OWN. [Source]
- Top Pot Doughnuts are headed to Bellevue Square. [Source]
- Capitol Hill’s Molly Moon’s is taking over the old Flora & Henri shop to create a Willy Wonka-esque “kitchen on display” that will highlight their specialty ice cream and signature cones being made. The space is set to open in the summer. [Source]
- Skillet will call the Seattle Center home. [Source]
- EMP’s Sound Off! finals are tomorrow night and we’ve got a Seattle University band in the running: Feet. Check out the rest of the acts here. I like these guys a lot!
- Jan Berenstain passed away this week at 88. This one was my favorite because I went through a phase as a kid where I loved seeing pictures of illustrated food/candy. I kid you not, another one of my favorite books was a children’s book on the affects of diabetes.
- Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose are now engaged! The couple have been dating for over a year. [Source]
- Ke$ha turned 25 and Justin Bieber turned 18 this week.
- US Weekly shows the evolution of Lindsay Lohan’s face and it ain’t pretty. [Source]
- Lea Michele and Cory Monteith – romantically involved? US Weekly believes so. [Source]
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have announced the birth of their newborn son, Samuel Garner Affleck. [Source]
- …and Snooki is preggers. [Source]
- Lamar Odom has been dropped by the Dallas Mavericks and has been sent down to the NBA Development League. OH NO!! POOR LAM LAM :( [Source]
- Actress Kaley Cuoco has called off her engagement to Josh Resnik. [Source]
- Natalie Portman had a secret wedding and is already married to Benjamin Millipied. [Source]
[Reimer - second from right]
I was devastated when I heard that 26-year old Christopher Reimer, a guitarist for one of my favorite bands The Dodos and Women, passed away yesterday. Reimer was a fantastic guitar player and his work with the band over the last year will never be forgotten. As reported by the Calgary Herald, Reimer passed away in his sleep.
In memory of Christopher Reimer, today’s Song of the Day is one of my favorites – ”When Will You Go ” by The Dodos.
My brother and I have this really unique relationship in that we enjoy shopping at boutiques together. I’ll never be able to live this down if I say it – but I have to admit that he has had an influence on my style over the years. He has introduced me to some of the greatest boutiques in Vancouver and to blogs that I religiously read on a daily basis today. Don’t get it twisted it though – I basically dominate him in the music department.
I am sad to announce that Goods on Pike St. is closing. I remember my brother taking me here as a teenager freshman year when I was into my sneaker phase and looking to expand my collection of Nike Dunks. Over the years, we watched the store expand on the block and as I went into college, I witnessed every guy in my freshman class discovering the store and proclaiming it as the best “underground” boutique they’ve ever heard of.
Goods hasn’t released much news on their closure except for this banner advertising their sale. We’re sad to see you go, but wishing all of the owners best of luck on their future endeavors. Hopefully the end of this chapter means that we can expect something greater from them later on.
The coroner has announced this morning that Houston’s cause of death was due to mixing prescription drugs, Xanax, and alcohol; not from drowning in the bathtub. This is so sad to hear. The music industry truly lost a legend this weekend.