Swoon of the morning. Can we talk about how adorable this video is of a chihuahua named Panchino doing yoga alongside his owner? Can I have a dog like this? A little mini me?
Per my friend Dom’s recommendation, I recently downloaded the My Fitness Pal app so that Kevin and I could keep track of what we were eating for a week. We’ve come up with a challenge as to who could eat healthier ie) stay more aligned with our goals whether it be weight gain or weight loss and whoever can maintain it – wins!
I’m on day one of using the app and I’m already amazed by how large their food catalog is. They literally have everything including my usual Tall White Mocha from Starbucks. This is the first time that I’m ever counting calories, but I’m finding it to be useful with it’s progress charts and seamless user-friendly actions. Not only is it informative and educational, but it’s enlightening to know what I’m putting into my body and also what I could probably do without. Something that I have been trying to work towards is drinking more water throughout the day to stay hydrated and keep my energy up and while yes, it might seem tedious to track everything you eat and drink, in the long run it’s going to help me to organize my life and my diet.
Do any of you use My Fitness Pal? Have you ever counted your calories and how did it make you feel?
- Top 10 restaurants and cafes in Seattle. [Source]
- 14 friends everyone has on Facebook. You know who you are. [Source]
- I haven’t posted anything about the Trayvon Martin case, but I will post this piece from The Frisky that I can stand behind. [Source]
- Mayer Hawthorne’s performance of “Her Favorite Song” on The Today Show. [Source]
- Uber now lets you split the fare with a friend. [Source]
- Are your favorite retailers tracking you? [Source]
- A new facial that let’s slugs slime their way all over your face. Are you brave enough to try it? [Source]
- 9 Ways to work out in San Francisco without stepping foot into a gym. Sounds like my kind of workout! [Source]
Last Friday, I started bleaching my teeth and it’s a little strange to become so excited over a dull task that most people wouldn’t enjoy, but to me it’s kind of fascinating. We’ve more than halfway through the process and I have to say that I am pretty pleased with the results so far. Unfortunately, I won’t have any before or after pictures, but hopefully my recommendation for it will be enough! I rarely cover health topics on Yow Yow! but since this was a very new experience for me, I thought I would share. I’ve tried several whitening methods in the past – simply brushing, Crest White Strips, and even a whitening pen that pretty much did nothing. The Crest White strips were recommended to me, but I always found that the strips would never stick and then after taking them off, my teeth would be sensitive for hours. It was then that I learned that if I were going to ever try whitening again, I would have to be more careful. I was hesitant to try bleaching because of that reason alone and knowing that it might be stronger.
So far, we’re in the clear!
The difference in shades are completely noticeable. I was advised not to drink coffee for a week while I was bleaching, but I slipped up once. The only downside to using my bleach and teeth trays to hold the bleach in place is that the first couple of times, there was a bit of drooling. Woof. Life. If you have the opportunity to bleach, I would HIGHLY recommend it. However, I know that this can be a pricey process so just in case, I wanted to provide you with another alternative. Free People wrote a post just the other day on 4 methods you can use to whiten your teeth. Not only are they simple and things that you can do every day, but they are also inexpensive – which is the most important part.
Headaches are the absolute worst and the solution I usually have to get rid of them is to just take a Tylenol with food. Did you know, however, that there are foods that you can eat that are also the instant cure? These food items seem really random to me, but if Lauren Conrad believes it to be true…
Also, I think some of these items are on a case-by-case basis. I actually can get headaches from coffee, but I have known bananas to help with my headaches so if you have one, I wouldn’t suggest eating and drinking all of these things. After all, you know your body better than anyone else.
It’s important to note the types of foods that will also GIVE you headaches as well:
Cheese, artificial sweeteners, processed meats and caffeine (if you’re not used to it or if you drink too much)
For more details on how each food item cures the headache, click here.
My co-worker and I were actually just having a chat about counting calories the other day. When I was a kid, a few of my friends had mentioned to me that they were part of programs and counting their calories so I wanted to join in too – to be mindful of what I was putting into my body, but also because I saw it as extra math or a puzzle. That really only lasted a day because I realized calorie calculators just weren’t equipped to measure the types of foods that I was eating. Hello Kitty Boo-Berry pop tarts and all that other stuff.
January – the month of resolutions, wanted change, and getting healthy. For the last 23 days, I have been scouring the blogs only to find that one of this year’s biggest (and trendiest) resolutions is the juice cleanse. Personally, I’ve never done one, but I’m very interested in it. Do I think that I could last 3 days on an all liquid diet? Probably not – that’s going to be a challenge, but the thought of detoxing and cleansing my body and starting off fresh is so appealing.
The cleanse program was created by a Seattle-based company called Juicebox and it’s pretty flexible in that you can do it for one day, three days, or five days. It’s also $60 a day so it’s kind of an expensive cleanse, but I can only imagine that your body is going to love you a lot for it (or hate you cause it might think you’re starving.)
I decided to get a second opinion and read Seattle Met’s Allecia Vermillion’s point of view on the juice cleanse and while it seems like she had some ups and downs – the end result was positive.
So what do you think readers? Should I do it?! A 3-day cleanse is pretty heavy on my poor post-grad bank account, but I think even one day could do me some good. Would you try it?
- Happy 23rd birthday to my favorite Gleek Kevin McHale!
- Forever 21 is threatening to sue WTForever21.com blogger Rachel Kane for defamation and trademark infringement. [Source]
- Pantone has released 175 new colors since 2003 bringing their current color roster to 2,100. [Source]
- Anna Wintour accepted her Webby Award last night with a five-word speech: Sometimes, geek can be chic.
Watch the video of her acceptance here.
- Natalie Portman has given birth to a boy! [Source]
- Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris called off their wedding slash she became runaway bride. [Source]
- Tobey Maguire is featured in Prada’s menswear fall/winter ad campaign. [Source]
- Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa has trademarked “How easy is that?” [Source]
- Victoria and David Beckham have asked Eva Longoria to be the godmother of their unborn child. [Source]
-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants author Ann Brashares has written a fifth book in the series to be released as the girls go through adulthood. The book came out today. [Source]
- Aritzia’s flagship store located in Soho will open tomorrow!
- The Nordstrom half yearly sale for men begins Friday!
- The St. Regis Hotel has debuted their 1,700 square foot Tiffany and Co. themed suite on the 14th floor. [Source]
- The Foo Fighters are poking fun at tour riders by releasing a coloring book about their needs. [Source]
- Could Ben and Jerry’s possibly have a new flavor in the works called “Schweddy Balls?” [Source]
- There’s a new issue surrounding expecting mom’s to be called Mommyrexia for women who attempt at staying skinny while being pregnant. WOW… that sounds like the a terrible idea. [Source]
- Facebook lost 6M users last month. Could the social networking website be at its peak? [Source]
- Can anyone explain why the windows of Seattle businesses and restaurants keep getting smashed? [Source]
- Two people died this past weekend at Bonnaroo. [Source]
- Come see the Friendly Fires on tour this summer and fall. [Source]
- Atmosphere has announced the Family Vacation tour. [Source]
- Watch these kids react to Lady Gaga.
- To celebrate the new Playboy club in London, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman has created an updated version of the Playboy bunny suit. [Source]
- Designer Tory Burch has launched a new Tumblr showcasing her favorite people, places, and interests. Visit Torypedia.
- Lauren Bush and Judith Leiber have collaborated together in designing the FEED evening clutch.
“The clutch retails for $495, far less than many of Leiber’s more elaborately bejeweled minaudières, and $250 from every bag sold will go to supporting global food-supply programs. In fact, each sale will provide 1,000 school meals for children in need, the largest amount yet associated with one of FEED’s products.” [Source]
- Angelina Jolie is the new face of Louis Vuitton. [Source]
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are debuting a new optical line. [Source]
- Above is the cover art for Bon Iver’s newest self-titled album due out June 21st, 2011. Tracklisting at the…[Source]
- Taylor Swift has bought herself an LA mansion. [Source]
- TV on the Radio bassist Gerard Smith has passed away after losing his battle with leukemia. [Source]
- Kanye West’s charity has closed. [Source]
- Ashley Fink and the Dalton Academy Warblers will also join New Directions on the Glee tour this summer. [Source]
- Detroit’s Movement Electronic Music Festival has released their lineup. [Source]
- Author James Frey will return to Oprah’s talk show in one of her last episodes to discuss his new book “The Final Testament of the Holy Bible” after she ripped him a new one five years ago for his book “A Million Little Pieces.” [Source]
- Chris Colfer has sold a pilot to the Disney Channel called The Little Leftover Witch. [Source]
- Justin Timberlake will host the May 21 season finale of Saturday Night Live with Lady Gaga as the musical guest. [Source] Stacked lineup.
- Demi Lovato has decided to leave her role on Disney’s “Sonny With a Chance” after receiving treatment for her eating disorder and bipolar disorder. She will continue to focus on her music career. [Source]
- Scream 4 actors Emma Roberts and Rory Culkin grace Nylon’s May 2011 Young Hollywood issue. [Source]
- Marion Cotillard will play Miranda Tate in “The Dark Night Rises” and Joseph Gordon-Levitt will play John Blake, a police officer. [Source]
- Bellevue Square prepares for Forever 21′s arrival. [Source]
- Capitol Hill will be the first location for the new morning parking meters for the late night parties. [Source]
- James Franco has been accepted into the University of Houston’s Creative Writing Program. [Source] Just stop it…
- Not everyone can tweet like Zooey Deschanel can. [Source]
- Jane Krakowski has given birth to a son. [Source]
- Meet TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2011. [Source]
- Didn’t watch your language on the court? MAKE A PSA! Nice Kobe. [Source]
- There is a new laser treatment called Axilase that will help you reduce your amount of sweat. [Source]
- Evan Rachel Wood admits to being bisexual. [Source]