Designer Wes Gordon and actress Ashley Greene wearing his design
J. Crew’s creative director, Jenna Lyons, is making her dreams of expanding the retailer across the pond come true. Look out Londoners, J. Crew be comin’ at you! There has been no word yet on actual stores opening up, but Jenna will kick off this transition first by launching an e-commerce site for the British customers.
“We’ve been focusing on our growth in the US: we’ve launched childrenswear; we have an amazing wedding business; shoes and accessories are growing rapidly; and there has been a huge uptake in menswear, so we’re looking to launch men’s-only stores,” she explained. “We wanted to make sure we had all our ducks in a row in the US – but things are solid so now is the right time to look at the UK.”
François-Henri Pinault with Salma Hayek both in Alexander McQueen
There was an unbelievable amount of love for Alexander McQueen and Stella McCartney at this year’s 2011 Met Ball. I think out of all the Met Ball’s I have seen, this one has provided the most looks that I have fallen in love with. Well done everyone.
This year’s theme was in tribute to the late designer Alexander McQueen as the museum debuted a new exhibition in his name. Since there were so many attendees this year, I decided to post only my favorite looks (and a few others) – don’t worry, it’s still pretty image heavy!
Where was Camilla Belle this year?
- Matthew Williamson’s collection for Macy’s is now out and it is packed with beautiful party dresses and prints for the spring/summer. View and purchase the collection here.
- J. Crew will open their first International store in the UK at the end of the summer. [Source]
- Last season, Miu Miu’s appliqued dress made on the cover of nearly every magazine. This season, it is Prada’s entire Spring collection that has earned 48 covers. [Source]
- FOX News makes a huge deal over a J.Crew ad in which creative director Jenna Lyons is painting her son’s toenails pink. [Source]
- Incubus will release their new album “If Not Now, When?” on July 12th. [Source]
- Glenn Beck has been using Metric’s music and Emily Haines is weirded out. [Source]
- Taking Back Sunday’s new self-titled album will be released June 28th. [Source]
- My favorite former boy band member Jeff Timmons of 98 Degrees has decided to join the Chippendales dance crew at the Rio in Las Vegas from May 12 thru June 5. [Source] The little girl inside of me is swooning.
- And in case you haven’t heard yet, Nicki Minaj will be touring with Britney Spears this summer. [Source]
- LCD Soundsystem will be releasing their final show on DVD. [Source]
- Nickelodeon has renewed iCarly for a fifth season. [Source]
- ABC is cancelling All My Children and One Life to Live. [Source]
- AJ Cook is planning her return to Criminal Minds full time again. [Source]
- Cannes has announced their film festival line up. [Source]
- Ellen Page, Jesse Eisenberg, Penelope Cruz, and Alec Baldwin have signed on for Woody Allen’s new film set to be shot in Rome this summer. [Source]
- Monte Carlo starring Selena Gomez, Katie Cassidy, and Leighton Meester with an appearance by Cory Monteith. I don’t think anyone actually believes that all of them are supposed to be just graduated seniors.
- Moe bar will be streaming live coverage from Coachella this weekend for free! Still not the same experience, but it’s the thought that counts. [Source]
- This Saturday is Record Store Day! Tons of record stores in Seattle will be having special events including band signings and special band performances. For the full schedule, check out The Stranger here. Also, a new record store called Spin Cycle is opening TODAY on Broadway at 321 Broadway on Capitol Hill.
- Yogurtland’s opening is tentatively planned for this weekend! [Source]
- A man is auctioning off a jelly bean that looks like it has an imprint of Kate Middleton’s face. [Source]
- NBA has fined Kobe Bryant $100,000 for his offensive slur at a ref. [Source]
- Seann William Scott has checked out of rehab. [Source]
- Catherine Zeta-Jones is currently being treated for bi-polar disorder. [Source]
- Scarlett Johansson has moved in with Sean Penn. [Source]
- Emma Roberts is covering the May issue of Seventeen Magazine. [Source]
- Harry Potter actress Bonnie Wright is engaged to Jamie Campbell Bower. [Source]
- A two-year old boy was given sangria instead of orange juice at a Florida Olive Garden. [Source] rookie mistake
- Learn how to be a jetsetter with Refinery 29′s useful infographic. [Source]
- The world’s oldest man, Walter Breuning has passed away at age 114. [Source] Damn.
Hooray. This is the longest In the News…posting I have ever made.
“Do you know where the clothes you are wearing came from?” Last week, my professor had asked our class that question and without even skipping a beat I answered, “China.” Technically, it came from J. Crew’s University Village location though.
I must have looked pretty foolish because he then proceeded to ask me if I knew where the factory was located, how many people had worked on the shirt, and what the conditions were of the workers. I shut up. I didn’t know any of those answers. How many of us actually do? None of us stop to think about how our clothes were created because we take these pieces for granted once we have them in our hands or on our bodies. They are just everyday staples to us.
I guess this is why I can appreciate J. Crew’s new mini-documentary series that informs their wearers where and how their clothing and accessories came to be. In “About a Shoe,” creative director and president Jenna Lyons along with VP of women’s design Marissa Webb venture to Italy to witness their sketch transform into a physical shoe. The video does a great job at showing the immense amount of work that goes into producing just one piece of their collection as well as how many hands are involved in the project. For anyone interested in learning about fashion design without an ounce of knowledge in the subject, this might be a great place to start.
- Project Runway will start up again on Lifetime beginning July 29th with just a couple of changes. Each episode will now run 90-minutes long and the “Bluefly Accessories Wall” will be replaced by the “Piperlime Accessories Wall“
- Congratulations Jenna Lyons on becoming the new President of J. Crew!
- Carey Mulligan will be on the cover of the October issue of Vogue while Halle Berry receives the coveted September issue cover.
- Last night Glee star Amber Riley sang the National Anthem at the All-Star Game. [Source]
- Victoria’s Secret Angel model Doutzen Kroes is three months pregnant w/ her first child. The father is her boyfriend DJ Sunnery James.
- Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem tied the knot secretly earlier this month.
- Craig Ferguson and wife Megan Cunningham-Wallace are expecting. He announced this via Twitter.
- Actress Keke Palmer graduated high school one year early and plans to attend Howard University in the future.
- Taylor Momsen is the face of Material Girl, a line launched by Madonna and her daughter Lourdes.
- Lindsay Lohan has claimed that she will “kill herself before she goes to jail.” [source]
- Kelly Osbourne has broken things off w/ her fiance Luke Worrall after discovering his unfaithfulness. [source]
- Cheryl Cole is recovering from from her Malaria, but has banned her Girls Aloud bandmates from visiting her in the hospital. [source]
- Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston are engaged and decided to hide it from Sarah Palin, but went to the press first. Hmm…
- Urban Outfitters launched a new jewelry collection today with designers that include: Archive, Erika Pena, BJ by Jules, Calourette, Dara Ettinger, Lizzie Fortunato Jewels, Species by the Thousands and Sabrina Dehoff. Check out the goods here
- Joan Ginter, a math professor from Texas has won the lottery four times. The chances of this happening are one in 18 septillion. 18 septillion is 18 with 24 zeroes behind it! She didn’t win small amounts of money either. “Ginther won $11 million in 1993, $2 million in 2006, $3 million in 2008 and $10 million last month.” She is one lucky lady… today she resides in Las Vegas! Can’t think of a better place for her to live than there. [source]
- Spencer Pratt attempted disguise himself in order to sneak into The Hills series finale event last night in Los Angeles. He would have definitely added an extra kick to the after-show had they actually let him in.
- Stella McCartney will design uniforms for the British athletes competing in the London 2012 Olympics after being named the creative director. [source]
In case you missed it, everyone hates Mel Gibson! This sign was spotted outside a gym in New Jersey.
In Capitol Hill news…
- Octo Sushi on 12th Ave [in the old Crave space] and Genki Sushi in the new Broadway Building are now open!
- So is Homegrown Sandwiches, my favorite organic, sandwich shop located in the Melrose Market.
- This Thursday, the Silver Cloud Inn will be debuting their new restaurant Jimmy’s on Broadway, which will be sort of like “a sports focused classy place that caters to the stadium crowd.” [Source]
- Awhile ago, I tried to make a visit to the local Jamba Juice at 1303 Madison when I discovered it was no longer there. I was sure that there had been a Jamba Juice there, but maybe I missed it by a block? Supposedly, it had been shut down unexpectedly. Now, Crêpan Crepe World, a Japanese-style crepe restaurant is moving in.