Diane Kruger in Prabal Gurung
After the Met Ball, this might be the second best dressed night during the year.
Anna Wintour in Chanel – she hosted the whole thang so she had to be first.
It killed me that I couldn’t post every look and have this ready to go for you all this morning! I was so excited to see some of the looks from the Met Gala yesterday evening and then a part of me knew that I would hate some looks as well. With the theme being, “China: Through the Looking Glass,” I was concerned that there would be jabs poked at stereotypes and Asian trends that would make me cringe. Of course there were, but like all things, we have to move on and not dwell on them. In the interest of saving time (and space!) I am choosing not to include looks that I felt were in poor taste.
I can’t believe it’s time already for the most fashionable night of the year! It’s crazy to think that a year has already gone by. I feel like I was making the 2013 post just last month. This year’s theme is White Tie and Decorations.
Of course we’re kicking things off with Queen Bey and Jay.
Beyonce and Jay-Z both in Givenchy Haute Couture
It’s the biggest night in fashion of the year and for the past four years, we have been covering the annual Met Gala. This year’s theme was Punk: Chaos to Couture and the celebrities did it well. Here – Dakota Fanning looks phenomenal in Rodarte.
All photos by Style
Click the cut below for more amazing looks from your favorite celebrities, designers, and models.
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting divorced. Sad day.
But more importantly, the bullies involved in the Karen Klein bus incident have been suspended for a year! For those of you who don’t know, Karen Klein was a school bus monitor who was recently harassed by four 7th grade boys while on the job. The four boys would call her names, make threats at her, and tease her relentlessly. Video footage was shot of the incident and almost instantly went viral. From this, many rallied behind Klein and contributed to a fundraiser that amounted to over $650,000 to give Karen Klein the vacation that she deserved.
I am thrilled that action from the school was taken because I don’t know about you guys, but I’m a little bit tired of all these misconceptions surrounding bullying. There are those that say it doesn’t happen in school and that kids don’t tease each other, but no – there is proof now that it does happen and that kids are not only teasing each other, but bullying adults as well. Hate to break the news to you this way, but even after school is over, the bullying never really ends. It can happen in a workplace too.
Kudos to Karen Klein for being absolutely amazing.
While perusing Netflix today, I came across a new film called The Romantics (2010) now available for instant watching. I like romantic comedies. The story revolved around a group of close friends from college reuniting for a wedding between Anna Paquin and Josh Duhamel, but then it occurred to me that this wasn’t the first time I had heard of this film. In June 2010, the cast of The Romantics did a photo shoot for J. Crew and I had even made a post about it. Those facts about the movie, alone, are all great, but I think the main reason why I was attracted to watching this film today was because of Adam Brody. The cast is a pretty intriguing one featuring the ones I’ve already mentioned, Katie Holmes, Malin Ackerman, Dianna Agron, Candice Bergen, Elijah Wood and a couple that I have never recognized before. The film centers on a complicated love triangle between Anna, Josh and Katie, but I was more fixated on the dynamic characters that Malin and Adam portrayed. They were both married or engaged to people in the group of friends that didn’t make any sense to me.
It’s an interesting film and I’m still trying to find closure on it, but I won’t press on it to much because it was the only movie I watched today to pass some time.
– This isn’t over yet?!
– Who are these Pre-VMA show hosts? So uncomfortably awkward. Please just bring back Suchin Pak and Tim Kash.
– Foster the People and Young the Giant, please gtfo MTV before the network eats you alive and makes you mainstream. Oh wait…
– Oh Gabe Saporta…I’ve still got a crush on you.
– Lady Gaga in the opening of the VMA’s. The look on Britney Spears, Adele and Justin Bieber’s face…priceless. Were her antics a little too much tonight?
– Congratulations Beyonce and Jay-Z who are expecting! One blog already think this might be a publicity stunt.
– I love Jay-Z.
– Miley, I don’t like your dress.
– Katy Perry – Too soon for that Kanye-Swift joke?
– Chachi Gonzales, I see you dancing in the Britney Spears tribute! How adorable were those little girls dancing in it?
– I loved Beyonce’s performance!
Favorite performances of the night:
– Perez Hilton calls Chris Brown out for his completely lip-synched performance. Whatever – everyone was thinking it! [Source]
– Jay-Z also did not clap for Chris Brown probably because he’s the one that discovered Rihanna. Way to go Jay – bit also, did anyone even understand that performance?
– For some reason, I wasn’t really feeling Jessie J tonight as the house band.
– Katie Holmes presenting video of the year…that’s random.
– The VMA’s didn’t have a host this year, but I think we saw way too much of Lady Gaga or her male counterpart. It almost got to the point of being too obnoxious for me and I think the organization of her presenting the award to Britney Spears was a little weird because her tribute was cut short when they both had to introduce Beyonce. There could have been a commercial break in there because Gaga awkwardly stole Britney’s thunder.
– Emmanuel Alt will be the new editor-in-chief at French Vogue replacing Carine Roitfeld. [Source]
– Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise may ditch the Oscars next month because they were not impressed with host Anne Hathaway mocking Katie on Saturday Night Live. [Source]
– David and Victoria Beckham are expecting their fourth child! Let’s hope it’s a girl this time. [Source]
– First glance at Natalie Portman’s engagement ring. [Source]
– Donald Trump is running for President? [Source]
Model Coco Rocha recovered the unpublished picture from Vogue’s The September Issue. In the documentary, Grace Coddington loved the shot, but Anna Wintour didn’t. [Source]
In Seattle news…
– The indie “15th Ave Coffee and Tea” on 15th Ave has returned to its original Starbucks store. [Source]