Can we be best friends? These girls are wonderful!
Until I heard this song, I was always having mixed views about Lana Del Rey. This is a really great track though.
Lana Del Rey is comin’ to town y’all! She’ll be singing and signing autographs at Easy Street Records on Queen Anne this Saturday at 2PM. It’s free and all ages and you get to see her in the flesh!
Somebody please go to this and let me know how it is. I would love to hear all about how she performs live and if she is as awkward as she once was on SNL.
Currently watching her perform on Jimmy Kimmel.
When Dave Schilling wrote a parody post on Thought Catalog that was supposed to be from Lana Del Rey’s perspective, entitled “Lana Del Rey Responds to Critics,” her publicity team was less than thrilled. They demanded that the post be taken down because some believed that Lana Del Rey herself actually wrote it.
Well, the most wonderful thing about the internet is that things can be shared. Dave Schilling removed the post from Thought Catalog, but sent it over to Hipster Runoff to be posted there instead.
When Lana Del Rey took to the Saturday Night Live stage last week for her performance debut, the world had high hopes. Unfortunately, those hopes got shattered real quick. The performance was uncomfortable. The critics were ruthless. I felt so bad for the poor girl! I started giving her the benefit of the doubt though – because there weren’t too many people on her side after that. Maybe that’s just how she performs! She does he own thing, you know? I thought if I left it at that, then there would be no reason for any other explanation.
Well to address the criticism, Lana Del Rey hit back with comments that I wish she just wouldn’t.
- “I think like, the people who have been listening to my music for a little while know that I’m more of a writer and, like, a studio singer. So I think if you come to the show, you just come to hear the songs on the record that you might like.”
- “Sometimes I feel less nervous than other times. I don’t love live television. The only tip I have is just pray and just hope that things work out.”
- “You can’t expect too much from my show.”
This raises some concerns with me.
Don’t like live television? Why go on a show known for their live performances? I’m not even sure if I have ever heard a band or a musician say basically that they would rather be heard on a record and not known for being a performer. Bands and musicians LOVE performances. They live for it. It’s the performance that help bring that music from the record to life – it gives fans the opportunity to become a part of a unique one-of-a-kind experience.
Miss Lana Del Rey, your performance on Saturday Night Live is not something that I have an issue with, but I do have a problem with your statements. I read this morning that you will begin a new tour in 2012 that includes 15 cities and a venue capacity of 900. May I suggest to you that instead of actually performing at these venues, that you save yourself the trouble and bring out a big ‘ol record player out on stage with you to play your new record to those 900 people. I mean, you didn’t want them to expect much, right?
I can’t say that I was overly excited to see Daniel Radcliffe hosting Saturday Night Live last night, but I knew that I was going to end up watching it anyway. He’s no Emma Stone or Jimmy Fallon, but I’m going to have to agree with the criticism that most of the reviews have been saying about his performance: He did the best he could with what he was working with. Aside from the Harry Potter skit, which we all knew was going to happen, there wasn’t a lineup of skits that held my attention for my long. I was, however, impressed by his American accent! Other than that, the skits were pretty lackluster.
Now, let’s talk about the performance heard from around the world – LANA DEL REY!
Since the summer premiere of “Video Games,” Lana Del Rey has been named the indie sexpot of 2012. What that means, I’m not exactly sure. Lana is a gorgeous young woman with distinguished pouty lips that women could only dream of and a drawling voice that is both intoxicating and at times confusing. Her music video became a hit on YouTube and since then the new singer has been catching a lot of buzz – landing the cover of Billboard Magazine, snagging a modeling contract, and playing Saturday Night Live all before her debut album has even been released. She is the second artist to ever debut on Saturday Night Live in the performance slot without having an album out first. The first was Natalie Imbruglia.
So there was a lot of pressure riding on Lana last night and the question leading up to her debut was, “Is she ready?” Last night’s performances had me tilting my head and shrugging my shoulders, “Maybe?” Lana Del Rey was visibly nervous as she took the stage to perform her first single, “Video Games,” exhibiting all nervous habits – touching her hair, awkward hand placements, a shaky voice. I felt bad for the poor girl! It was tougher to watch than the time Ashlee Simpson just walked off stage because of her lip-synching. I’ll admit though that she did regain a little bit of confidence for her second song, but at the closing of the show if Seth Meyers hadn’t come up to her and said, “It wasn’t bad!” I probably would have given her the benefit of the doubt.
-The Kids Are All Right actress Mia Wasikowska is the new face of Miu Miu and featured in their latest campaign. [Source]
- Paul & Joe’s new beauty campaign is all about cats! [Source]
- Whitney Port will have her first runway show at New York Fashion Week. [Source]
-Viva Model Management has signed Lykke Li. [Source]
- Kristen Stewart is the new face for Balenciaga Fragrance. [Source]
-Lana Del Rey covers Billboard. Have you heard of her yet? Dis girl be blowing up! [Source]
-Tavi gets even more cooler; featured in a Wilco music video. [Source]
-Lil Wayne will publish a memoir about his days in prison. [Source]
- Katy Perry’s parents try to play matchmaker and want to set her up with Tim Tebow. [Source]
- WELP! Coachella sold out in three hours for both weekends. [Source]
- Emma Roberts has pulled out of Spring Breakers due to a conflict in creative differences. The movies stars Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, and James Franco. [Source]
- Kim Kardashian will host Live With Kelly! on Jan. 23rd. [Source]
- MTV’s Teen Mom 2 star Leah Messer is expecting twins again. [Source] Oh what’s up Kate Gosslin 2.0
- Zooey Deschanel and Channing Tatum will host Saturday Night Live. [Source]
-ABC’s “Work It” about two men cross dressing to find work was cancelled after two episodes. [Source]
- Congratulations to former Coffee Haus performers Champagne Champagne! The hip-hop trio will open for Wu-Tang Clan on their Seattle date. [Source]
- Philadelphia is the most depressing city to live in, and unfortunately, Seattle is in the top 5. [Source]
- Homegrown’s Turkey + Bacon + Avocado Sandwich is their best selling sandwich for 33 months! [Source] This is actually my favorite and I can vouch for it. If you haven’t tried it yet, you must!
- Michelle Obama is officially on Twitter. [Source]
- Nevermind Sinhead ‘O Connor ends marriage again. [Source]
- The dessert for the Golden Globes will have gold flakes dusted on top of it! [Source]
- A first look at the Jason Wu for Target campaign! The collection debuts February 5, 2012. Is anyone else as excited as I am?! [Source]
- Vera Wang will hit the ice and show off her skills on April 2nd as an honored guest by Figure Skating in Harlem. [Source]
- Indie singer Lana Del Rey has scored a modeling contract. [Source]
- The Black Keys cover the Rolling Stones’ newest issue. [Source]
- The Killers will release a new album in 2012. I still just love Hot Fuss. [Source]
- The Kardashians are hoping to launch a tabloid – just won’t quit building themselves up. [Source]
- Tim Gunn receives a daytime talk show. [Source]
- Contestants for Celebrity Apprentice have been revealed. Clay Aiken! [Source]
- Twilight will become a Broadway musical for one night on January 16. Proceeds from the event will go directly to charity Blessings in a Backpack. [Source]
- Apparently, the QFC on Broadway skipped three months ahead to Easter even passing on Valentine’s Day. [Source]
- Christine Gregoire will introduce a new bill to legalize gay marriage in Washington state. [Source]
- Michelle Bachman has officially ended her presidential bid. [Source]
- Rumored Britney Spears is shopping for a wedding dress in the direction of Betsey Johnson or Jeremy Scott. It looks like our pop princess is spicing things up by opting out of the traditional gowns that would have been made by Vera Wang. [Source]
- Nick Cannon was hospitalized after suffering from mild kidney failure. [Source]
- Zooey Deschanel has officially filed for divorce from Ben Gibbard…is also a savvy spender according to TMZ. [Source]
- Sinhead O’Connor has called off her divorce after a night of passionate lovemaking with her husband. The divorce was filed after 16 days of marriage. So…Kim Kardashian wins again? [Source]
- Emma Roberts is deferring her college experience at Sarah Lawrence in Bronxville, New York due to her work commitments and budding romance with Glee star, Chord Overstreet. [Source]
- Russell Brand and Katy Perry did not have a prenup. He could end up making $20 million off of her. [Source]
- James Franco has sold his first novel to Amazon Publishing. [Source]