Who: Kate Middleton
Wearing: Jenny Packham
Where: Our Greatest Team Rises – black tie gala countdown to the London Olympic Summer Games 2012
- Alexa Chung has made her Instagram private after several of her followers left comments for her on this picture saying that she was too thin. She responded, “Ok everyone thanks for the teen angst discussions. People are different sizes. I’m not trying to be thinspo for anyone.” [Source]
- Rag & Bone will launch a handbag line this fall. [Source]
- Nicki Minaj will develop her own fragrance. [Source]
- This photo of two models kissing in Urban Outfitters’ latest catalog has stirred up some controversy with the One Million Moms (OMM) Organization.
“The content is offensive and inappropriate for a teen who is the company’s target customer.” And they’re asking supporters to boycott the retailer: “Tell them you will also no longer shop at their stores if you hear this type of advertising continues.”
Whatever, man. There’s always some organization that brings up this issue every month. [Source]
- Marchesa may be launching a contemporary line very soon. [Source]
- I’ve been waiting for this album, but I don’t have to wait much longer since Metric’s “Synthetica” will be out June 12. [Source]
- After debuting Tupac’s hologram at Coachella this past weekend, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg are now considering taking it on tour with them. [Source]
- Zooey totally sold me on the iPhone 4s in this commercial. It was the tomato soup.
- NBC will stream the entire 2012 Summer Olympics in London. I get that it’s popular these days, but it’s gonna be on NBC all day every day. [Source]
- MTV’s Teen Wolf will return in June for their second season. [Source]
- The Seattle Center will partner with Coca-Cola and name them the “official beverage” of the space and will celebrate them at their Next Fifty event. [Source]
- Congratulations to The Stranger writer, Eli Sanders, for his Pulitzer on feature writing! So much of my Seattle news comes from this blog so I think credit should be given when deserved. [Source]
- Tru Blood stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are expecting. [Source]
- Angelina Jolie’s engagement ring from Brad Pitt is reportedly worth $1 million dollars. [Source
- Kanye West apparently broke up with Kim Kardashian via text. [Source]
- Dick Clark has passed away after suffering a heart attack. He was 82 years old. [Source]
- Victoria Beckham’s birthday cake…is not a real cake. It’s fruit. [Source]
- Kate Moss is the new face for Mango! [Source]
- The nominees for the 2012 Bloglovin’ Awards have been revealed. [Source]
- Alexa Chung will take on the role as creative director for Superga’s next campaign. [Source]
- Celine will not be showing at Fashion Week this year because Phoebe Philo is taking time off for her pregnancy. [Source]
- Victoria’s Secret is launching their new high-end lingerie line, “The Victoria’s Secret Designer Collection.” Some pieces were even featured in last year’s fashion show. [Source]
- Karl Lagerfeld’s capsule collection will debut tomorrow on Net-A-Porter. [Source]
- Prefix reveals their list of 100 Most Anticipated Albums for 2012! [Source]
- Katy Perry has launched a line of false eyelashes. [Source]
- iHeartRadio has chosen 14 colleges to represent their sponsored stations. Seattle is not on the list. [Source]
- 2012 exhibits at the EMP will include AC/DC and Jimi Hendrix. [Source]
- Jimmy Fallon is caught in a strange lawsuit involving female domination on his set. [Source]
- Summer Glau will join the cast of Grey’s Anatomy. [Source]
- ABC has ordered a pilot to reboot Beauty and the Beast. [Source]
- 2011 Sound Off! winners Tomten has just been signed to Flat Field Records. [Source]
- Everyone can breathe easy now – Everyday Music will be moving across the street in March where the Diamond Parking Service Garage currently lives. [Source]
- Sea-Tac Airport is partnering with PlayNetwork and the Seattle Music Commission to bring travelers in-terminal music. [Source]
- If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon for Facebook’s new Timeline format, you better act soon or else Facebook will do it FOR you. [Source]
- Demi Lovato has checked into rehab once again reportedly for addictions to alcohol, drugs, and cocaine use. Get well soon Demi :( [Source]
- Demi Moore has also been rushed to the hospital earlier today for substance abuse. [Source]
- Paula Deen’s publicist has quit! [Source]
- Four couples in London broke the record for the world’s longest hug. Awwww! [Source]
- Vimeo is on the verge of relaunching their new website and some pretty snazzy features. [Source]
- Victoria’s Secret Angel Alessandra Ambrosio is four months pregnant! That means that when she was walking in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show last month, she was about two months along. This will be her second child with fiance Jamie Mazur. The couple already have a 3-year old daughter. [Source]
- Sinhead O’Connor is ending her marriage after 16 days. That’s not nearly as long as Kim Kardashian’s, but then again she doesn’t have a show on E! so it’s not that big of a deal. [Source]
- Could Kanye be giving his career in fashion a second try? Rumor has it that the hip hop star will pack up and move to London to pursue a more serious career in fashion design. [Source]
- Capitol Hill’s Skillet Diner made the list for the best top five restaurants that opened in 2011. [Source]
- Who knew? Fashion designer Vera Wang is also an ice skater! As if she couldn’t look graceful enough… [Source]
- Matthew McConaughey is engaged to Camila Alves. [Source]
- Refinery 29 picks their 15 favorite albums of 2011. [Source]
Hooray! My favorite Victoria’s Secret Angel Lily Aldridge and her husband Caleb Followill of Kings of Leon are expecting! [Source]
Have you ever tried sleeping with earbuds? It doesn’t work. By morning, my earbuds are entangled in my ears and/or they feel sore from having headphones wedged in. I suppose that’s why SleepPhones was created and apparently it’s supposed to be the “most comfortable headphones for sleeping.” UM. Do want. Only $39.95 [Source]
London has set up a 33ft tall Christmas tree made out of Legos in St Pancras station. [Source]
Adorable bibs for babies. [Source]
A number of UK’s famous artists have joined together to collaborate on the new series of posters for the London 2012 Olympics. It’s a pretty interesting take on some of the games and I don’t understand all of them, but I’m definitely loving the minimalistic themes that are being passing around these days.
Check out the rest of the posters here.
London illustrator and graphic artist Dale Edwin Murray has been hard at work on his project Hip Hop Heads for some time now, which features notable hip hop artists in a minimalist poster form. The images are simplified and the shapes are geometric, but despite all of that, it’s easy to tell who’s who. Or maybe it isn’t. Think you can guess them all? Click the source for more.
Fashion Week (or as like to call it – Fashion Month) is about to become much more pretentious than ever before. Fashion Month works because none of them overlap. First comes New York, then comes London. After that, we have Milan and Paris is last. Turns out, Milan is not happy with that arrangement.
Milan has reportedly decided to place their Fashion Week in dates that would conflict with both New York and London’s fashion weeks, which is going to send every fashion magazine into a frenzy. Milan is essentially giving them an ultimatum and trying to prove who is most powerful out of the fashion capitals.
Who will rise to the top? Only time will tell.
One thing that I’m extremely grateful for from WordPress is the archive function for my blog. Yes, I realize that many sites do have this. No, this is not the first time I am discovering it. Many times, what I have found in blog writing is that I write the post and then I’m done. I don’t revisit many of my old posts and many of them sort of get forgotten and left in the past. It’s funny because I wanted to create Yow Yow! initially so that I could remember everything that has happened within the past few years, but I haven’t made any effort to do that…until now.
On August 25, 2010 this happened:
- We learned that London would be hosting this awesome installation called Outrace
- We mourned the 9-year anniversary of Aaliyah’s death. Unfortunately, today will have been ten years since her death.
- Songs that we couldn’t get out of our heads were given to us one after the other on Unhearit.
- Gmail taught us how to take back an email that we didn’t really mean to send immediately after sending it. I still can’t figure out how to do that today.
Since news of the riots have broken out in London, many are having second thoughts about having the city host the 2012 Olympics. And when I say many – I just mean China. Apparently, the riots (which have completely spun out of control from the original story) have tarnished the city’s reputation and could be now considered unsafe and unfitting to host.
I would hope that this would not continue for another year, but who really knows. I say let them keep the Olympics.
I can’t remember the last time a riot solved ANYTHING. Do you?
Secondly, I was shocked to find out yesterday that after their set at Lollapalooza, someone had stolen Portugal. The Man’s van and trailer with all of their equipment inside. It is heartbreaking to hear that especially after they had played one of their best shows at the Chicago music festival. Since Monday, the band has been asking for the public’s help in retrieving their van back slash replacing their expensive gear. The van was discovered today, but sans equipment.
Among the pieces of equipment stolen were eight guitars, an electric organ, an electric piano, numerous musical pedals, drums speakers and microphones, an iPod and a banjo, according to a list of equipment released by the band. A cost estimate for the stolen items wasn’t immediately available, but the band noted the list was incomplete.
In its tweets, the band asked that anyone who is able to should print out the list of equipment and check local pawn shops; the group can be contacted at via Twitter via @portugaltheman if anyone knows anything about the theft.
If you can imagine…the time and money that goes into purchasing this equipment, it would take years – maybe even their whole musical career to acquire it all. I can only hope that their equipment will be returned to them safely, but I am disappointed in hearing this news.
How much do you resemble your family? London-based photographer Jocelyn Allen discovered that the most creative way to finding the answer to this question was through self-portraits that included members of her family. In her series, “One Is Not Like The Other,” Jocelyn photographs herself by replicating the same exact pose and clothing of her selected family member.
“The word identity has many meanings, but for me it’s about what makes myself me. Though one may copy those who they are genetically connected to and descended from, individuality will still shine through whether it is via hints or physical differences.”