I saw this post last night being passed around on Twitter by my dear friend Kathryn!
And so much more…here!
Stephy Roo is the best concert buddy to have ever.
The Hills marathon that spanned three days long
Joe and I pulled a tourist day today and picked up some fresh berries from the market and ate them outside of a Starbucks.
It’s back. Pumpkin Spice Latte!
After four years of being a judge on America’s Next Top Model alongside Tyra Banks, we have learned yesterday that André Leon Talley will be leaving the show at the end of the season. His replacement? None other than HBIC PR Head Kelly Cutrone. I know I throw around the term “HBIC” pretty often, but I really mean it this time. Cutrone is known in the fashion business industry for her public relations company People’s Revolution, but on television, is known for being the cutthroat boss to both Whitney Port and Lauren Conrad on The Hills/City. Who could ever forget the moment when Kelly interviews Stephanie Pratt for a position at the PR firm?
Well, I did so here it is again.
I don’t normally watch this show, but Cutrone is one of my idol’s so I might have to make an exception.
Lauren Conrad may not be getting a new reality show on MTV, but we think that she will do just fine. After all, she is the most successful cast member out of both Laguna Beach and The Hills. She also has a way of making her collections look super cute without being high end whereas Heidi failed to do the same with her collection for Anchor Blue. Anyways, her new spring photos for Kohls were just released and they are adorable.
To view the entire Kohls spread, click here.
- Mr. Teddy Bear himself, Jorge Garcia, will be making an appearance on the upcoming season of How I Met Your Mother. Jorge is most known for his role as Hugo “Hurley” Reyes on Lost. [Source]
- Lauren Conrad will be returning to MTV for a new reality show. The series will focus on her professional career as opposed to …well… what The Hills was known for. More info will be released next week. [Source]
- Pauly D. will be getting his own spin off from the hit series Jersey Shore. The show will be about what Pauly D. off of the show, which is being a DJ. [Source]
- Florence + The Machine will re-release their debut album “Lungs” on November 15th. The new album will feature the new song “Heavy In Your Arms” also on the new Twilight soundtrack as well as songs from the first album remixed. [Source]
Catfish – a documentary that I happen to find intriguing.
- Chloe Moretz [the little girl from Kick Ass and the sister from 500 Days of Summer] will star in the film adaptation of the comic “Emily The Strange.”
- Nicole Richie and Joel Madden are reportedly getting married this December.
- Actress Hayden Panetierre will portray Amanda Knox in the new Lifetime movie.
- Did you know that Kristen Bell used to date Matthew Morrison AKA Glee’s Will Schuester back in college?
- Taylor Swift’s alma mater high school, Henderson High School, has decided to name their school auditorium after the singer. Taylor only studied there for her freshman and sophomore year of high school. [Source]
It was only just a year ago that I had started doing interviews for Yow Yow! and the first person I asked was Jessie Payo. Earlier that year, her band Jupiter Rising, had released their second album The Quiet Hype, which was packed with both pop-rock and hip-hop influenced tracks. Their songs were picked up and featured in episodes of The Hills, Criminal Minds, and The City. Jessie was the first person I wanted to interview because I was a huge fan of Jupiter Rising and had also met her for the first time a few years back. Anyways, a year went by and I decided to reach out to Jessie again. Luckily, we were able to get this going the second time around. She is an absolute sweetheart! I hope you enjoy this everyone.
Q: How old are you and where are you from?
Jessie: I’m a youngster from Los Angeles.
Q: Growing up, did you always see yourself becoming a singer? How did your career first start out?
J: When I was little I wanted to be a painter, then a dancer, then an actress. It never really crossed my mind that I would want to spend my life as a musician. My parents were very artistic and they had all sorts of artist friends that would come over and play music. One time at a backyard party, there were a bunch of musicians jamming out to a Janis Joplin song…at the time I had become a huge fan of Janis. So when the song began, I started singing really loud into the mic. I surprised my parents…and myself. Soon after that, my father started a band with a bunch of our church friends. We played coffee houses and small festivals with Aretha Franklin covers and blues songs. After that, I knew I wanted to keep on playing live. It wasn’t until later that I started writing my own songs.
Q: So Jessie, I actually met you three or four years ago at the black Friday event at Alderwood Mall in Washington. I’m sure you don’t remember meeting me, but I caught your performance w/ Jupiter Rising and after the show I met you and your band manager. I remember being so excited because I had never met a band that wasn’t local before. Back then, I told you that I was interested in booking you guys for a show at the venue I worked for so I was in shock when I received my first business card from your manager. Who was the first person that you met in your music career that has left you speechless?
J: Wow, Katie! That was a really fun show…really freezing too;) I’m so happy you remember that show because I had a great time at that show! Well, the first person I met that left me speechless was Jonny Lang when I was, like, 15…I’m not sure if you know who he is but at the time he blew up as this teen, blues prodigy! I was really into the blues at the time and it was so inspiring to meet someone that was young and playing music so enriched in the roots of American music. I was soooo in awe of his talent…and not to mention his amazing smile. Later on we got to share the stage together, and that was killer!
Q: You recently told me that you are no longer with Jupiter Rising. I’m sad to hear that especially because I still listen to both of your albums pretty often. What made you decide to end up going solo?
J: Yes, it was a sad breakup but a lot of things happen for a reason. Spencer Nezey is one of the most talented producers out there and he is now working on a project called Her Majesty and the Wolves. I felt I wasn’t being honest in myself as an artist and I also felt it was unfair to Spencer because he knew exactly where he wanted this band to go. I needed to step away to ask myself that difficult question “What is it that I want?” So now I’m feeling incredibly amazing writing new music and laying the foundation for more exciting things to come.
Q: I follow your Twitter as well and heard that you were trying out for American Idol. Is it true? If so, that’s very exciting! Are you able to tell us anything about it or is it pretty hush hush?
J: I can’t really share the details but it was a great experience.
Q: Who are you usually compared to? And do you think that this person and you are alike?
J: I’m usually compared to Nelly Furtado, Erykah Badu, Bonnie Raitt and Nikka Costa. I totally see the comparisons yet these four artists have completely different sounds. I take them all as a compliment
Q: Who were your influences growing up?
J: My first influence was Madonna. I would imitate her dance moves and bring my “Like a Virgin” cassette to kindergarten…where it was deemed inappropriate. Haha! After that I was heavily influenced by Aretha Franklin, The Beatles, Eric Clapton , Big Mama Thorton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Erykah Badu, Nikka Costa and PJ Harvey…that’s quite a list of random.
Q: Who is your guilty pleasure collaboration? Who would you like to collaborate with that your fans might find a bit surprising?
J: I would LOVE to work with Jack White….DONE!
Q: The music industry is tough business to get into, what has been your biggest challenge and what piece of advice would you give to those who aspire to become a successful musician.
J: My two biggest pieces of advice is: Don’t stop working…there’s always something to be said about being a hustler.
Second piece of advice is never make any apologies for the work that you put out there .
Q: At the end of the day, what makes it all worth it for you?
J: What makes it all worth it at the end of the day, is the endless amount of support I get from my friends and family. Whenever I feel like I’ve reached my breaking point I always have a good friend or family member to remind me to get some perspective. Leaning on them at times and a good way to step outside of myself when it gets too hard.
Q: Who are you listening to these days?
J: I’m listening to the new Black Keys album “Brothers”, The Avett Brothers, Marina and the Diamonds and the new Weezer Album. Great stuff!
Q: What’s a typical day for Jessie Payo?
J: I’d like to say that I have a typical routine, but I don’t. A lot of it consists of running around from rehearsals to shows to sessions to vocal lessons. Each day brings its own adventure. Right now I’m working on building the next Empire that is Jessie Payo.
Q: Jessie, you are dating magician Justin Kredible. Has he ever played a trick on you?
J: There’s always magic in the house. But once he put my head into a vintage head chopper to test it out and it scared the crap out of me to have my head locked into a contraption with a huge blade above it. Thank goodness nothing went wrong…my head’s still attached to my body.
Q: Where can we see you next Jessie?
J: Keep on the look out for a brand new Jessie Payo EP that’s in the works as we speak! Also, I’m starring in a film called “Rising Stars” that’s soon to be out!
Q: Anything else?!
J: Check out more to come from Jessie Payo on www.jessiepayo.com
And follow me on twitter at @jessiepayo
Thanks Jessie! We wish you the best of luck!
I have always admired Lauren’s effortless and no-fuss cool California style. We watched her grow up in basics on Laguna Beach wearing plain denim jeans with C&C tanks. We witnessed her on the red carpet wearing questionable dresses. Now, Lauren having retired that style and her old nickname LC, has perfected a polished look and has turned pro in being a leading trendsetter today.
This is my second to last Hills-related post I promise. This week, Lauren “Lo” Bosworth launched her new website entitled “The Lo Down.” I wasn’t sure what to expect because when I saw Heidi Montag’s website I was not at all impressed. Since Lo’s debut this past Tuesday, I’ve surprisingly found myself visiting it everyday.
Lo works with her team of friends Zach Tanck and Matt Griffin to cover topics under relationships, health & fitness, style, beauty, and life. The most interesting article I read from her today was “4 tips for Restaurant Dining,” – which is completely true. Lo also runs an advice column through her website and answered the question “How Do I Get Out of the “Friends With Benefits” Zone?” and she addressed the twisted Hills series finale everyone is still talking about.
Check out her new website here.
- Project Runway will start up again on Lifetime beginning July 29th with just a couple of changes. Each episode will now run 90-minutes long and the “Bluefly Accessories Wall” will be replaced by the “Piperlime Accessories Wall“
- Congratulations Jenna Lyons on becoming the new President of J. Crew!
- Carey Mulligan will be on the cover of the October issue of Vogue while Halle Berry receives the coveted September issue cover.
- Last night Glee star Amber Riley sang the National Anthem at the All-Star Game. [Source]
- Victoria’s Secret Angel model Doutzen Kroes is three months pregnant w/ her first child. The father is her boyfriend DJ Sunnery James.
- Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem tied the knot secretly earlier this month.
- Craig Ferguson and wife Megan Cunningham-Wallace are expecting. He announced this via Twitter.
- Actress Keke Palmer graduated high school one year early and plans to attend Howard University in the future.
- Taylor Momsen is the face of Material Girl, a line launched by Madonna and her daughter Lourdes.
- Lindsay Lohan has claimed that she will “kill herself before she goes to jail.” [source]
- Kelly Osbourne has broken things off w/ her fiance Luke Worrall after discovering his unfaithfulness. [source]
- Cheryl Cole is recovering from from her Malaria, but has banned her Girls Aloud bandmates from visiting her in the hospital. [source]
- Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston are engaged and decided to hide it from Sarah Palin, but went to the press first. Hmm…
- Urban Outfitters launched a new jewelry collection today with designers that include: Archive, Erika Pena, BJ by Jules, Calourette, Dara Ettinger, Lizzie Fortunato Jewels, Species by the Thousands and Sabrina Dehoff. Check out the goods here
- Joan Ginter, a math professor from Texas has won the lottery four times. The chances of this happening are one in 18 septillion. 18 septillion is 18 with 24 zeroes behind it! She didn’t win small amounts of money either. “Ginther won $11 million in 1993, $2 million in 2006, $3 million in 2008 and $10 million last month.” She is one lucky lady… today she resides in Las Vegas! Can’t think of a better place for her to live than there. [source]
- Spencer Pratt attempted disguise himself in order to sneak into The Hills series finale event last night in Los Angeles. He would have definitely added an extra kick to the after-show had they actually let him in.
- Stella McCartney will design uniforms for the British athletes competing in the London 2012 Olympics after being named the creative director. [source]
In case you missed it, everyone hates Mel Gibson! This sign was spotted outside a gym in New Jersey.
In Capitol Hill news…
- Octo Sushi on 12th Ave [in the old Crave space] and Genki Sushi in the new Broadway Building are now open!
- So is Homegrown Sandwiches, my favorite organic, sandwich shop located in the Melrose Market.
- This Thursday, the Silver Cloud Inn will be debuting their new restaurant Jimmy’s on Broadway, which will be sort of like “a sports focused classy place that caters to the stadium crowd.” [Source]
- Awhile ago, I tried to make a visit to the local Jamba Juice at 1303 Madison when I discovered it was no longer there. I was sure that there had been a Jamba Juice there, but maybe I missed it by a block? Supposedly, it had been shut down unexpectedly. Now, Crêpan Crepe World, a Japanese-style crepe restaurant is moving in.
Nearly every discussion board I have seen post The Hills series finale show fans that are “shocked” or “confused” by the ending last night. I am not. I’m not shocked, confused, upset, hurt, on the verge of tears. Nothing. – By the way, reading this post is a spoiler alert. If you were a true fan you would have watched the finale at 10 PM and/or Midnight last night. – Have I not been saying this whole that The Hills was fake?! I believe it was earlier this year that I even posted up a picture of Kristin Cavallari holding onto a Hills script!
The last scene of the finale showed a tearful goodbye between Brody and Kristin before she left for Europe. [We already know she didn't leave because she was going to be at the after show!] As Kristin hopped into the limo we see her peer out the window nostalgically. Brody Jenner can do nothing, but stand there and watch his ex-girlfriend drive away. We have seen this similar scene nearly every season of The Hills. Just when you think you’ve seen the ending BAM! the Hollywood sign behind Brody is wheeled away to reveal him standing on a back lot, the camera pans out and Kristin’s limo is still there. Though some fans are saying it was a bad ending, I thought it was fantastic. Were the producers revealing that the “unscripted” show wasn’t what it appeared to be after all? Was everyone on the show just poking fun at the critics who believed it was scripted? One fan even compared The Hills ending finale to finding out that Santa Clause wasn’t real. The reason why some are unhappy with the ending was because reality television just got very real.
Even though the show has ended [finally] it didn’t feel like the end. We’re still going to hear about them in the news, they’re all going to put out books and design clothing lines. I actually thought Kristin going to Europe was a joke especially after that ending and I expected Stephanie Pratt to come out and say that she was getting a reality show next! The after show was way over hyped. Here’s what you missed:
Holly cried after seeing clips of a very young and innocent Heidi pre-Spencer.
There was a video montage making fun of Justin’s poor ability to make complete sentences.
Even though Spencer was kicked off mid-season, they still highlighted his “best” moments.
I have had my fair share of ups and downs w/ The Hills over the years. It did, however, teach all of us some very important lessons throughout it’s six-year run [not saying these are all realistic]:
- MTV has decided to cut The City and will end the series after this season. What is the meaning of this exactly? Maybe MTV just wanted to start fresh with their new shows and decided that cutting The Hills meant cutting The City as well. They are after all very similar. I won’t deny that The City is actually my guilty pleasure. Despite knowing that it is all scripted, I still love it.
- King Spencer wants you to view his new website w/ creeper picture here
- On a good note, the first season of Laguna Beach [the only season that anyone cares about] is on NetFlix for stream. I am reliving high school days with it.