Zooey Deschanel has an effortless sense of style. She is the epitome of class and grace. This morning I read an article entitled Five Things I Know About Style: In fact it was so great that I wanted to create my own for some readers. Here is her version and below is mine.
- When you get dressed in the morning, you have to go into your day w/ assertion. If it doesn’t work out, you’re free to change into a second outfit. If you want to wear your sweats and a sweatshirt that’s perfectly fine too, but Wear it with confidence. Wear it like you mean it and that every piece that you put on that day was on purpose.
- Before I make a purchase, I have to be 100% sure that this is the right decision. Is it worth the price? How many times will I wear it? How long will this piece last me? How many outfits can I wear it with? If you can’t think of at least three then you shouldn’t buy it. Get the most wear from it. Just because the price is higher doesn’t mean it is always the best find.
- Examine your clothing. I hate coming home with a purchase only to find that there’s a hole in the back of the shirt or a button falling off. If you can’t fix it yourself, don’t buy it. It’s not worth it. Also, buy something that fits you at that time. You should not buy goal-oriented clothing thinking that you will fit into it eventually or over time. That just prolongs the time that you will actually get to wear it.
- Simplicity is key. Accessories are sometimes used to enhance an outfit, but that doesn’t mean you should go overboard with it. Accessories can also cheapen an outfit. Less is more. Never wear earrings with a necklace and a bracelet. At most, choose two. Less is more.
- Let yourself become inspired by runway looks, but do not let it take over your entire wardrobe. Trends will come and go and you are asking for a lifetime of debt if you try to keep up w/ it. Think smart when purchasing anything trendy. You almost have to make a promise to yourself that you will wear it even when it goes out of style.
Develop your own style. Wear what is comfortable and what makes you feel comfortable. Don’t dress for anyone else – not for a girl and not for a boy.
Also this is either a warning or a notice: Layering is good. It keeps you warm in the fall and the winter, but why do women insist on wearing spaghetti strap tank tops with racer back tank tops. Don’t show your bra straps with a racer back tank top. These are undergarments for a reason. Put it away, hide it with a cardigan and don’t expose them to the world.