After months of anticipation, MTV will finally be debuting their version of Skins this evening at 10PM. While I am excited to watch their rendition of the first episode and season, I have been trying to remind myself that the UK version will always be better. The fresh faces of the new cast have potential and I am curious to see where their story lines will go, but what I’m worried about is that those that watch Skins and will come to love it over the next few months will believe that MTV has created something truly original. Unfortunately, MTV’s version includes less nudity, less scandal, and bleeped out profanity – which is something that the UK has never held back on.
Let’s not forget where Skins originated from okay? I’m sure the series will continue on and it will probably be the most racy piece of television we will ever seen on our televisions, but just know that the UK did it first and they did it better. In this post, you will find some of my favorite moments from my favorite characters of UK Skins series 1-4. Enjoy!
Spoilers and inappropriate language below. If you were planning on watching the previous seasons, you should probably stop reading this post now. They’re on Netflix!
By the way, this took me all day to compile.
1. Cassie is a free spirited girl struggling from an eating disorder. Often times misunderstood for her airy behavior, Cassie surprises us all. She is full of love and hope, but constantly neglected by Sid who has always loved Michelle until one day he finally “wakes up.” My favorite Cassie episode is the episode focusing on her disorder and trying to get the attention of Sid. My favorite moment of hers is when she flees to America and is taken in by a sexy photographer.
“I didn’t eat for three days so I could be lovely.”
2. In the season finale of Series 4, Karen urges Cook to find her brother and his best friend Freddie. Some people hated this finale and I’ll admit there were some parts that I disliked, but in the end I was impressed by Cook and Jack O’Connell’s performance.
3. Katie Fitch stops playing nice to teach a pretentious beezy a lesson. It was nice to see her make a comeback finally! My favorite episode featuring the twin girls was when they finally came together again as a family. They were left with nothing and their house was being auctioned off, but the family still shared their last dinner of pizza in their empty dining room together. Also – their twin language was super cute.
Katie: Sham. [Sorry]
Katie: Katie sham. [I’m sorry]
Emily: Why are you talking Twin? We don’t do that anymore.
Katie: Emzy sham doo. [Say you’re sorry too]
Emily: Emzy sham. [Sorry]
4. In the most romantic moment in the history of Skins, JJ sings “True” to Lara. Absolutely adorable.
5. JJ loses his virginity to Emily as friends. I love everything that JJ does!
6. Maxxie teaches Tony how to write again after his accident starting with his name.
7. Effy relapses after she was treated for psychosis from her psychotic doctor. She is my favorite character from Skins and that’s not because she has been the most consistent character having been the only one to appear in all four seasons. She has always been the girl that speaks little (especially in the first two seasons) but feels great pain. She’s the HBIC and no one can ever take that away from her – not even the newbies from the American cast.
“Sometimes I think I was born backwards, you know came out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love I hate, and the people I hate…”
8. Effy was found drugged and unconscious by someone that Tony had previously humiliated during season 1. It was after this moment that Tony had realized this that the games and drama he created would have negative consequences.
9. Pandora: I’m Pandora. I’m useless.
JJ: I’m JJ. With regard to mathematic aptitude I’m in the top 0.3% of the population which is an interesting demographic statistic because paradoxically my communication interpersonal and intuitive skills are towards the lower quartiles.
Katie: I’m Katie. I’ve never not had a boyfriend since I was seven.
Emily: I’m Emily. Never had a boyfriend.
Naomi: I’m Naomi. I hate injustice. People tell lies about me.
Effy: I’m Effy and I think my mum’s having an affair.
Freddie: I’m Freddie. I met a girl I liked today. She’s like beautiful. That’s it.
10. After his accident, Tony was helpless, lonely, and distressed. During a trip to an interview at a university, he met a mysterious girl that would bring him back to his old self both sexually and behaviorally.