10 Nov 2018
Every year, I post about the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show and those that read my post seem divided. Others, like me, are fascinated by the entire thing. There’s a few things to look forward to: the themes, the performances, the Fantasy Bra. Then there are those that are strongly against the show. They don’t believe in what it stands for, that it cuts down women, sexualizes them, makes others feel bad about themselves. I understand this point of view, of course. There’s a part of me though that understands that the women in these shows have worked hard for their bodies and that not everyone that is super thin has an unhealthy relationship with food.
I wanted to try and better understand this from a different side this year especially being someone that has had an issue with food. I follow a few of the models on Instagram: Taylor Hill, Kelsey Merritt, and Jasmine Tookes. The training that they do in preparation for these shows and the audition is year round. It’s not a sprint; it’s a marathon. I started working out more regularly this year by going to CorePower and don’t worry, I’m not going to become a fitness blogger by any means, but this shit ain’t easy. I’ll go to these classes, but there are probably a cumulative five minutes at least where I give up on my mat.
For myself, I have a lot of admiration and respect for models. My pet peeve is when people comment on their personal social media telling them to eat a burger. You don’t know them and it’s none of your business what they eat. Maybe I’m offended for them because I’ve had this told to me. It’s hard enough for me to make a decision about what to eat every day and how I’m going to eat, but now I have to consider what I eat so that it makes other people happy? Do you see how crazy that sounds? Let’s let people live and accept this show for what it is no matter what it may mean to each individual watching.
Getting off my soapbox slowly now… here are my favorite looks from this year. The show will change networks and air on ABC on December 2nd.
UPDATE: Executive Ed Razek made inappropriate comments this week directed at the transgender community and we don’t stand by it. He has since apologized, but we won’t forget. That being said this post has nothing to do with him at all and more on the models as people and individuals.
Read more “2018 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show”
07 Sep 2017
I am COMPLETELY here for this.
Arie was so dreamy on Emily’s season so I’m really looking forward to seeing him step up to this role. I joked with Leslie this morning that she can now sign me up for this, but we all know that could never happen!
Also this tweet right here:
17 Jun 2017
When the news broke out about this controversy, did anyone think of “UnREAL?!” There are many sides to this story and by no means am I claiming that I know the right one nor do I know who we should believe. With that said, I do have some thoughts that have left me with unsettling feelings about this situation. It doesn’t have anything to do with DeMario and Corinne or the he said she said.
The production of this series involves many individuals. There are contestants – for which this entire series is based off of. There are many more people behind the scenes that make this show what it is. If Corinne really was unable to give her consent, then those that are behind the camera would have seen that and they have a duty to stand up and say something. If you are going to stand by and watch an act of sexual assault happen right before your eyes, you might as well be an accomplice.
I would be lying if I told you that watching this coming Monday’s episode of The Bachelorette didn’t have me feeling uneasy already. I hope that the television series will address what happened or that Chris Harrison will say something to address the controversy. At the very least, I am glad that Bachelor in Paradise has ceased production and for those that are upset about that, well – shame on you.
30 Aug 2016
WOW. We didn’t see that one coming! ABC is really stepping up their game to deliver on the surprises. Here’s why this is so unexpected:
- This guy has been on TWO seasons of The Bachelorette. He was the runner-up on both of them and currently he’s on Bachelors in Paradise (a place for the rejects to find love on the spinoff series) I mean… hasn’t this guy had enough chances?
- Uh… totally thought it was going to be Luke. What happened there?
- Nick is currently seeing Jen on Bachelors in Paradise (I realize this isn’t in real time) but they seem pretty happy and moving in a positive direction.
It clearly didn’t work out with Jen and Nick, but geez – what a spoiler announcing that he’s the next Bachelor now when there’s still a season finale to watch next week! I was actually rooting for the Jen and Nick thing so I’m somewhat disappointed that that didn’t last. We’ll have to move on from that so here are the questions I want answered in watching Nick be The Bachelor next season.
- WILL Nick finally find love? Dear god, please say yes.
- Will we find out how Nick continues to make women on the show feel so desirable?
- Will I ever stop looking at Nick like he’s the long lost brother of Spencer Pratt?
Serious questions here, y’all. Also, do you remember when we all hated him for two seasons? It’s like the producers of this franchise have been planning this all along by turning him into the good guy on Bachelors in Paradise and essentially setting him up for success to be the next Bachelor. Nice work!
25 Aug 2015
I mean as if we didn’t already know this by the end of the last season of The Bachelorette! What took them so long to announce it? Maybe because they didn’t want all of the people auditioning for the show to only be there because of Ben and wanted to still have that element of surprise. I bet that by doing this they eliminated some of the crazies. Ben Higgins was a favorite of mine throughout the last season, but I couldn’t really picture him with Kaitlyn. He reminded me of Catherine from Sean Lowe’s season though in which he kind of stayed under the radar, but was always very classy and a gentleman. It wasn’t until Katilyn had asked him if he was a virgin that Ben started to lighten up a litle bit and show a more humorous side to him. And then all of the girls died and were like Kaitlyn/Nick/Sean who?
Exactly. It’s Ben’s turn now and we can’t wait!
11 Aug 2015
– How to run an electronic music festival. Honestly one of the best things I’ve read in a long time and is laying the basic foundation for planning any music festival. [The Fader]
– Cereal Milk Affogato – Yum. [Grubstreet]
– Why you should be a morning person [Medium]
– Millennial men aren’t the dads they thought they’d be [NY Times]
– Bachelorette Andi Dorfman is writing a tell-all about her breakup with Josh Murray [EW]
– According to Facebook research, “Lol” is totally old school. [Refinery29]
– Every single Starbucks Frappuccino flavor ever. [Refinery29]
17 May 2015
First off, you should know that both Britt and Kaitlyn aren’t very happy about having to share the title as The Bachelorette this season. However, they are being good sports about it because if they were visibly unhappy then that would make them unlikable and not the girl that audiences will want to root for.
What you should know about Britt:
- Britt received the “First Impression” rose on Chris Soules’s season of The Bachelor which means that she was the one that stood out to him the most and she was safe from elimination the first night while all the girls panicked and turned to alcohol. This immediately put a target on her back for the rest of the season and she became a threat to the other girls.
- Britt is VERY pretty, but she may not be naturally pretty. She was once woken up early in bed for a date with Chris wearing a full face of makeup, which most viewers found to be pretty strange – myself included. Who puts makeup on before going to bed?
- She’s a crier! Britt definitely shed a lot of tears on the show which the other girls (and most girls in general) find to be a little too much.
- The other girls thought that Britt was fake for a couple of reasons and these were brought up in the season a number of times. 1. Britt told a couple of girls that she couldn’t see herself getting married yet and starting a family. A few clips after, she basically told Chris that she wanted a million kids and couldn’t wait to start a family. 2. Another time the girls took a road trip to Chris’s hometown in Iowa and the girls “say” that she could never imagine herself living there, but in another clip she tells Chris that she finds his hometown to be beautiful and that she could definitely see herself starting a life there with him. It’s important that we take these instances with a grain of salt because we all know how sneaky the producers and editors of this show can be.
In my opinion, I think that Britt seems like a really nice girl. One contestant constantly bullied her behind Britt’s back throughout the season and instead of trying to put Britt down, she made Britt look like the better person. A lot of the negativity that was directed at Britt could be attributed to just pure jealously.
What you should know about Kaitlyn:
- Kaitlyn had one of the best opening lines to a Bachelor that I had ever heard! Upon meeting Chris, she greeted him with “I don’t know much about you. I know you are a farmer. You can plow the (bleep) out of my field any day.” It was cheeky and showed off her sense of humor even though it was slightly inappropriate. That doesn’t really matter though because Chris gave her a rose at the end of the night because he clearly found her to be funny.
- Kaitlyn is kind of a guys’ girl. While Britt played the girl next door type, Kaitlyn was seen as “one of the boys” or the girl that can just “roll with things.” On her first date with Chris, they spent the day at Costco. To most girls, they would probably hate this, but Kaitlyn was willing to have fun with herself and enjoy her time with Chris showing that you can make the most of any boring date. Later on she had dinner with Chris and Jimmy Kimmel which made her even more likable as she made jokes along with the comedian.
- Kaitlyn is kind of wild. She’s a dance instructor so upon meeting Chris had no problem showing him some dance moves that he performed awkwardly on television. On a getaway date with other girls she took off her swimsuit bottoms and jumped into the water to which Britt later on scolded Chris for condoning that kind of behavior.
- She wasn’t happy about her elimination in Bali as one of the last three girls. Kaitlyn has been a positive contestant all along, but in her breakup scene with Chris, she showed a lot of vulnerability which I think audiences kind of liked seeing and felt like they could relate to. She mentioned how she had had her guard up all season long and felt like she really put herself out there so her elimination was just downright humiliating – something most contestants leaving don’t admit to. It was refreshing to see her tell it like it is.
I’m interested in seeing how Kaitlyn takes on the role of The Bachelorette and am curious to see if she’ll show both sides to her of being the funny and quirky girl while also being serious enough to put herself out there to the guys and wanting to find love.
Readers, who will you be rooting for tomorrow during the premiere?!
30 Apr 2015
I actually stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy a very long time ago – like after the second season or something like that. Yet over the years (the show has been running for 10!) I’ve tried to stay in the loop whenever I could. When the first episode aired, I loved it. Finally, a show taking place in Seattle! Actually, it’s a pretty great series and I wish I would’ve continued. When I heard that Derek Shepherd passed away during last week’s episode, I decided that I just had to see the episode. Even though I got lost in the seasons, the relationship between Derek and Meredith was one that resonated closely with me. They had a great romance and in last week’s episode that I watched this evening, I cried puddles. Cross-legged on my living room floor (what? not even my couch, I know) eating my Chicken Noodle Soup from Panera and tears streaming as we said goodbye to Derek (yeah, both Meredith and I!)
This doesn’t make me want to continue the series or anything, but it was classy send-off and I really appreciated ABC for doing it the way that they did.
09 Mar 2015
25 men will go on dates with both Kaitlyn AND Britt! For the first time ever in Bachelor/Bachelorette history, there will be two bachelorettes and they pretty much were the babes of last season’s The Bachelor. In the beginning of the season, Britt was the frontrunner for The Bachelor, but seeing Kaitlyn get as far as she did, others were convinced that she would be the next Bachelorette. Tough choice, but having both of them will definitely make up for some entertainment.
Apparently the guys will go after both of them and ultimately decide who they think will make the better wife. Will there be one of them left standing? Will both of them go after the same guy? Will Britt and Kaitlyn each have a rose to give out at the very end? So many questions about logistics. We’re looking forward to May 18th when the next season starts!
09 Mar 2015
There really is no perfect wedding video for today than this one by Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock on the day of The Bachelor finale! Real talk though – we are full of love after this weekend. Today, Mandi and I attended The Bold Italic’s Love/Make (hipster) wedding expo and we pretty much had the best day ever. Don’t worry, we’ll be writing a whole post about this later. Des was one of my favorite Bachelor contestants and Bachelorettes. I’m not sure why, but I always felt like I identified with her the most. Before appearing on the show, she actually worked in the wedding industry at a dress store, but we also just thought she was the biggest sweetheart. I still remember telling my own friends, “When Des cries, I cry.” It’s been awhile since that season, but I don’t think that was a lie!
Now, Catherine and Sean are my favorite Bachelor couple, but I really like Des and Chris too mostly because they like to remain a little bit more private. They are both living in Seattle now, but got married in California.
Desiree’s custom-designed gown from Maggie Sottero is an absolute dream. I don’t see too many one-shoulder dresses that I love, but this one is something else.
To view the entire spread, click here for the rest on Style Me Pretty!