04 May 2015
– Because everyone here is obsessed with Blue Bottle’s New Orleans Iced Coffee – here’s how you can prepare your own at home! [BlueBottle] – I pretty much do the short version of this every morning at work 😉
– Our favorite Craigslist Ad of the week.
– How Slack is changing workplace culture [Slate]
– Secret shutters [Circa]
– Emily Schuman talks about how she created her successful blog [Inc.]
– Seattle start-up Tune provides for women studing computer science at UW [Geekwire]
– Kanye changes the name of his new album to “Swish” [The Fader]
– How to execute on choreographing an unforgettable music video by the choreographer who did Tinashe’s “All Hands on Deck” [The Fader]
– An acoustic performance by Lauryn Hill of “Doo Wop (That Thing)” [Pitchfork]
24 Aug 2014
I experienced my first California earthquake in the middle of the night! When I lived in Seattle, I remembered how those earthquakes felt and none were ever at the level of this one. Going through it, it felt a lot more powerful than I had realized. The earthquake affected all of the Bay Area hitting Napa and Sonoma the hardest and registering at a 6.1 magnitude level. This was the strongest earthquake to shake the Bay Area in the last 25 years.
We’re all safe here in the South Bay and I hope everyone else is doing the same!
15 Jul 2014
In questionable moves today, Google announced that they have removed all name restrictions from Google+ and have issued an apology to all of their users who faced difficulties because they did not want to provide their name on the social network originally. I find this to be a little bit odd because all other social networks require you to use your name and that makes the most sense to me. It’s a way of making sure people are authentic and maybe an extra cushion to make sure people are who they really say they are. Maybe I’m wrong though because there’s always catfishing. I would think that by Google+ removing this they will definitely receive more troll-y accounts. Their reasoning for this is to make Google+ a more “welcoming and inclusive” place.
Very interesting. It’s informative news, but it’s not making me run to the social network to make an account.
19 Feb 2014
In major tech news today, Facebook went ahead and purchased WhatsApp for $16 billion ($12 billion in stock / $4 billion in cash) What. I’ve never used the app, myself, but from what I’ve heard from my coworkers – it seems to be an app that people absolutely love. It breaks down the barriers of texting internationally and simply makes it easier to communicate with those abroad.
WhatsApp currently has 450 million monthly active users. Mark Zuckerberg repeatedly said on the Feb. 19 conference call that he believes WhatsApp will quickly grow to 1 billion monthly active users.
When the acquisition was announced, it was reported that WhatsApp currently had 32 engineers on their team and altogether somewhere around 50 that will be joining Facebook shortly. I can’t even fathom that amount of money. Facebook is incredibly powerful and the string of news that is trailing them right now is exciting to hear.
12 Dec 2013
Snapchat has something to worry about today because Instagram is now allowing users to send private messages within the app with their new feature called “Instagram Direct.” You will be able to send 1:1 pictures, videos, and text. The feature is currently available for iPhone and Android with no word yet on a release date for the Windows Phone. Womp womp.
Users can only send private messages to people who follow them. If a user attempts to send a private message to someone who doesn’t follow them that person can then decide whether or not they want to see the message. Private messages can be sent to one or many users.
High quality images with filters sent via Instagram over Snapchat? Count me in.
15 Oct 2013
- When fashion and technology merge – Apple hires Burberry’s CEO to run retail operations [Circa]
- What it’s like to live in space – from a mother [Design Mom]
- A note on management styles within tech [Medium]
- A peek into Square’s new office in San Francisco [Mashable]
- Anatomy of a fashion show soundtrack [Business of Fashion]
Hmm there seems to be a pattern hidden among these posts… I wonder why!