Who: Designer Erin Fetherston and Cobra Starship’s Gabe Saporta
Where: Dior presents “Picturing Marilyn”
I can’t get enough of these two.
I’ve got a guilty mainstream artist crush on Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship.
I just caught myself blushing at his performance on Jay Leno. I always am left wondering how he looks so good in all of his performances, but I realized it’s because Sabi (the girl that sings in the song w/ him) just isn’t a very good performer.
He is dating Erin Fetherston. Hipster musicians… I can’t help it. My life is embarrassing.
– This isn’t over yet?!
– Who are these Pre-VMA show hosts? So uncomfortably awkward. Please just bring back Suchin Pak and Tim Kash.
– Foster the People and Young the Giant, please gtfo MTV before the network eats you alive and makes you mainstream. Oh wait…
– Oh Gabe Saporta…I’ve still got a crush on you.
– Lady Gaga in the opening of the VMA’s. The look on Britney Spears, Adele and Justin Bieber’s face…priceless. Were her antics a little too much tonight?
– Congratulations Beyonce and Jay-Z who are expecting! One blog already think this might be a publicity stunt.
– I love Jay-Z.
– Miley, I don’t like your dress.
– Katy Perry – Too soon for that Kanye-Swift joke?
– Chachi Gonzales, I see you dancing in the Britney Spears tribute! How adorable were those little girls dancing in it?
– I loved Beyonce’s performance!
Favorite performances of the night:
– Perez Hilton calls Chris Brown out for his completely lip-synched performance. Whatever – everyone was thinking it! [Source]
– Jay-Z also did not clap for Chris Brown probably because he’s the one that discovered Rihanna. Way to go Jay – bit also, did anyone even understand that performance?
– For some reason, I wasn’t really feeling Jessie J tonight as the house band.
– Katie Holmes presenting video of the year…that’s random.
– The VMA’s didn’t have a host this year, but I think we saw way too much of Lady Gaga or her male counterpart. It almost got to the point of being too obnoxious for me and I think the organization of her presenting the award to Britney Spears was a little weird because her tribute was cut short when they both had to introduce Beyonce. There could have been a commercial break in there because Gaga awkwardly stole Britney’s thunder.
Usually it’s a gradual transition from television actress to say…singer. This just looks kind of like a mess. That hair. That outfit. That jumping. guhh that stage presence. I hope her people help her out soon.
Every year, KISS 106.1 hosts Jingle Bell Bash and usually you can expect the typical mainstream artists that they always play on the radio. It’s become a little bit predictable when you see Fall Out Boy, The Pussycat Dolls, The Jonas Brothers and Natasha Bedingfield on a lineup
This year, KISS 106.1 has become… what’s the word…scene? It’s not quite mainstream completely, but they’ve chosen a lineup of bands that to the rest of the world might all sound similar. I know they’re not only because I’ve been listening to these bands for quite some time, but what is their fan base going to think when they see no hip hop? They could’ve been expecting Lady Gaga, Jay Sean, or that adorable 15-year old Justin Beiber.
So who did KISS 106.1 choose for this year?
In a recent post, I introduced Jazmin Whitley’s new television show on MTV called “House of Jazmin.” After hearing about this young and talented designer, I decided it would be perfect to get in touch with her to find out more about her show and her line. Be sure to tune into “House of Jazmin” tonight at 10:30 PM! This is also my first interview, but hopefully the first of many!! Thanks!
Q: Jazmin, you’re 20 twenty years old. You have shown your collection at LA Fashion Week. That is a major accomplishment! How did this happen? Tell us about how your career started.
Jazmin: I created my very first collection in high school at the age of 17 and launched it in March of 2006 for LA Fashion Week!
Q: Everyone has a pivotal moment in which they realize “This is what I want to do for the rest of my life.” When did this occur for you?
J: I have always LOVED fashion, but I would say around nine years old I knew I wanted to be in fashion.
Q: What does it take to be a fashion designer? I’m assuming passion, drive and dedication correct? For musicians, patience and trial and error are big. Is this the same for an aspiring fashion designer as well? Did it take a little bit of time for you or were you able to just get into the industry pretty quickly?
J: It takes HARD WORK, passion,drive,dedication. You have to be strong and know not everyone is going to be encouraging and positive. I launched my label in March of ’06 so since then I have been networking and slowly working my way into the industry.
Q: Are you ever intimidated by the fashion industry, the demands and working with others who are much older than you?
J: Sometimes I feel like I have to prove myself and show them that I can keep up with everything. It also seems like since I’m young they really pick apart my work and it can be really stressful.
Q: Are you in school at all? Do you ever feel like you are missing out on the college experience or are you simply content because you are already so successful at the age of twenty?
J: I’m really happy to be where I am right now. I feel really blessed. I can’t picture myself doing anything else.
Q: What is a typical day for Jazmin Whitley?
J: It depends on what stage I’m at in my collection. I could be sketching out ideas,or fabric shopping. I could be sewing my samples. When I’m finished with my collection, I cast models and get ready for fashion week or have meetings with buyers. If I’m not doing any of that, I could be having a lookbook photo shoot or dressing celebs for the red carpet. I guess there is no typical day in the life of Jazmin Whitley.
Q: You have your own television show, House of Jazmin, that premiered on MTV last Tuesday. Can you tell us more about it?
J: You can watch it every Tuesday night at 10:30pm on MTV www.houseofjazmin.mtv.com You get to see everything that I do as a designer from casting models,working on my collection, fashion weeek! and my personal life as well! I think it’s a really fun, upbeat and positive show :)
Q: What is it like working with your family? I think it’s so cute that your brother is your photographer also!
J: Yes! My brother is an amazing photographer and he is always there to help me. He is still my little brother so he can be annoying and it can be crazy at times. At the end of the day, we love each other so it’s cool.
Q: Who is someone that you would love to collaborate with in the future?
J: I would love to dress Anne Hathaway!
Q: What is on rotation on your iPod currently?
J: Cobra Starship, Britney Spears and Incubus
Q: Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years down the line? Is fashion designing forever or would you like to branch out into another fashion related career?
J: I see myself in growing my label, adding shoes and bags. Being sold at department stores. Opening my own boutique. So yes, I see myself working on my label forever!
Q: By the way, are there any stores in Seattle selling your clothing?
J: Not yet! Soon I hope =] for now you can shop online www.shoplicari.com
Thank you so much Jazmin – wishing you the best of luck on your career!!
Picture Credit: MTV
Cobra Starship – Good Girls Go Bad w/ Leighton Meester… or Estelle?
I’m not posting the Leighton one cause we’ve all heard it on the radio and everywhere I’m sure. You can search it on my page too
I haven’t posted this video yet. Can’t wait to hear more of her stuff and more collaborations.
You do NOT need to be on KISS 106.1
kthnx. Quit trying to be mainstream whores.
LAST GOSSIP GIRL related post of the day. Promise.
Cobra Starship just released their new single this morning on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show called “Good Girls Gone Bad,” which features my favorite favorite Leighton Meester.
We last heard her on the “Birthday” track with Awesome New Republic released last month. Things are looking good for Baby Blair! Can’t wait to hear her full length if and when it does come out.