Wearing: Fall 2019 Tommy x Zendaya collection
Where: launch of Lancôme’s Idôle fragrance at Macy’s
Wearing: Fall 2019 Tommy x Zendaya collection
Where: launch of Lancôme’s Idôle fragrance at Macy’s
Since I missed the premiere of The Fashion Star earlier this week, I decided to spend my St. Patrick’s Day night in watching the rerun. I generally don’t like to adopt new shows in the middle of a season especially since I’ve got a full lineup already, but c’mon, it’s Nicole Richie! I also wasn’t sure if NBC could bring back another fashion series to their network after parting with Project Runway, but The Fashion Star definitely has a fighting chance.
How the show works:
Aspiring fashion designers compete weekly to produce one featured item in three different looks. They are mentored by Jessica Simpson, John Varvatos, and Nicole Richie, but at the end of the day it is up to the three buyers from Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, and H&M to decide what is wearable for consumers. If the buyers decide to make an offer on a designer’s item, they will then make it available for sale that same night after the show airs. It’s actually a pretty cool concept and interesting to hear the insight from the buyers on trying to make an item marketable. When contestants don’t receive an offer, they are at risk of being eliminated and out of the running for the grand prize.
Every season, I love seeing the different runway looks, but I understand that what’s on the runway for the most part is a trend and will be filtered down to become more wearable for retailers. *Remember that scene from The Devil Wears Prada when Miranda schools Andy on her ordinary blue sweater? It’s incredibly refreshing to see a look that is bypassing all of the bells and whistles and being much more straight to the point. I think I’m also becoming a fast fan of the show because it is very business-minded and hello! we’ve got two Seattle contestants!
Lisa Vian Hunter and Lizzie Parker – we’re rooting for you!
My ears did a double-take today when I heard a commercial on the radio announcing that Macy’s downtown would be hosting one of my favorite bands – Minus the Bear for a special performance in their mstylelab department.
First off – double-take, that’s not right is it? I couldn’t think of the phrase for listening.
Secondly – I have no idea what the mstylelab is and why it is called that. Odd name for a location in a department store if you ask me.
Third – Minus the Bear is blowing up ALL of the place these days with all of their random performances in the city, but I think I kind of love it. It’s something you would never expect, which probably means it’s going to be pretty rad.
Here’s the official event description in case mine wasn’t exciting enough.
“mstylelab Concert Tour presents Minus the Bear
Check out Minus the Bear perform live in mstylelab on Level 4. After the performance, meet the band! The first 300 customers to make a $35 purchase in mstylelab (Young Men’s or Juniors) get to hang with the band and receive their autograph!”
The event starts at 2PM! Do I have time to go before the wedding? Probably not.
– Ricky Martin and Nicki Minaj will be the new spokespeople for MAC Viva Glam in 2012. [Source]
– Alexa Chung will host a new fashion reality television show on Lifetime similar to Project Runway, but with a new batch of contestants in each episode. [Source]
– Karl Lagerfeld is collaborating w/ Macy’s this fall with a collection just in time for back to school shopping at their downtown location.[Source]
– Rumored Grace Coddington has sold her memoir for $1.2 Million. [Source]
– Feist’s new album “Metals” will be out October 4, 2011. [Source]
– Seattle native and musician Stacie Orrico is working on a new album. [Source]
– Kanye West and Jay-Z on tour here.
– Ryan Murphy clarifies his statement about Cory, Lea, and Chris leaving by saying that they are only “graduating,” but not leaving the show completely. [Source]
– Chord Overstreet will not be returning to Glee and has declined the show’s offer to be on for a portion of the season. [Source]
– The Arrested Development movie is totally happening. [Source]
– I really don’t enjoy movies like these, but I figured some of you did. So here’s the trailer for New Years Eve featuring your fair share of overrated celebrities.
– Could it be? Sex and the City prequel rumors? [Source]
– Congratulations THEEsatisfaction who just signed with Sub Pop! [Source]
– Seattle bars may extend hours for certain bars. [Source]
–Izilla Toys on 12th Ave closed today. [Source]
– How are the Mariners doing this season? And…every season? [Source]
– Capitol Hill will host a Seattle vs. New York Turntable.Fm smack down! [Source]
– Prince William has gifted Kate his mother’s favorite earrings. [Source]
– Kristin Cavallari and Jay Cutler are no longer longer engaged. [Source]
– Jesse James and Kat Von D are over. Wait…didn’t that already happen? [Source]
– An Arkansas high school chose two valedictorians because the first valedictorian was black. The second valedictorian chosen was white and was selected because the high school believed parents would be upset. WHY does this STILL exist? [Source]
During Finals Week, I was unable to keep up with these “In the News…” posts so some of these bits are from two weeks ago. From here on out though, everything will be pretty current.
– Giambattista Valli will design for Macy’s. [Source]
– Hamish Bowles is writing an autobiography. [Source]
– Gary Time has officially launched! [Source]
– Jessica and Ashlee Simpson will collaborate on tween clothing line. [Source]
– Dakota Fanning is the new face of Marc Jacobs’ “Oh Lola!” [Source]
– Coachella is turning into a multi-weekend event! [Source]
– Adele has canceled the rest of her North American tour due to sickness. [Source]
– MTV has cancelled Skins. Sad day. [Source]
– Fear Factor is returning to NBC. [Source]
– Jane Lynch will host the Emmys. [Source]
– Katie Couric is launching a talk show on ABC next fall. [Source]
– There has been talk of a US remake for the UK hit show “Misfits.” [Source]
– MTV will film their next season of Real World in San Diego. [Source]
– Blur Seattle has created the HappyButts project to encourage smokers to toss their used cigarettes in these designated cans and not the streets of Capitol Hill. [Source]
– “Human Barbie” Sarah Burge who has had $800,000 worth of surgery recently purchased a voucher for breast implants for her 7-year old daughter to redeem when she is 16. [Source]
– The ridiculous family that started the whole Balloon Boy incident last year has decided to auction off their enormous balloon in order to raise money for the Japan relief. The price is currently set at $1m. Okay, you’ve redeemed yourself a little bit. [Source]
– Scarlett Johansson and Sean Penn are no longer dating. [Source]
– Shaq announces retirement after 19 years in the NBA. [Source]
– Ed Norton is engaged. [Source]
– Nikki Reed is engaged to American Idol contestant Paul McDonald. [Source]
– Jack White and Karen Elson are throwing a divorce party. [Source]
– The creator of Mad Libs, Leonard B. Stern, has passed away at 88. [Source]
– This fall, Emma Watson will resume her college education by attending Oxford University. [Source]
– Lily Allen got married today. [Source]
– Matthew Williamson’s collection for Macy’s is now out and it is packed with beautiful party dresses and prints for the spring/summer. View and purchase the collection here.
– J. Crew will open their first International store in the UK at the end of the summer. [Source]
– Last season, Miu Miu’s appliqued dress made on the cover of nearly every magazine. This season, it is Prada’s entire Spring collection that has earned 48 covers. [Source]
– FOX News makes a huge deal over a J.Crew ad in which creative director Jenna Lyons is painting her son’s toenails pink. [Source]
– Incubus will release their new album “If Not Now, When?” on July 12th. [Source]
– Glenn Beck has been using Metric’s music and Emily Haines is weirded out. [Source]
– Taking Back Sunday’s new self-titled album will be released June 28th. [Source]
– My favorite former boy band member Jeff Timmons of 98 Degrees has decided to join the Chippendales dance crew at the Rio in Las Vegas from May 12 thru June 5. [Source] The little girl inside of me is swooning.
– And in case you haven’t heard yet, Nicki Minaj will be touring with Britney Spears this summer. [Source]
– LCD Soundsystem will be releasing their final show on DVD. [Source]
– Nickelodeon has renewed iCarly for a fifth season. [Source]
– ABC is cancelling All My Children and One Life to Live. [Source]
– AJ Cook is planning her return to Criminal Minds full time again. [Source]
– Cannes has announced their film festival line up. [Source]
– Ellen Page, Jesse Eisenberg, Penelope Cruz, and Alec Baldwin have signed on for Woody Allen’s new film set to be shot in Rome this summer. [Source]
– Monte Carlo starring Selena Gomez, Katie Cassidy, and Leighton Meester with an appearance by Cory Monteith. I don’t think anyone actually believes that all of them are supposed to be just graduated seniors.
– Moe bar will be streaming live coverage from Coachella this weekend for free! Still not the same experience, but it’s the thought that counts. [Source]
– This Saturday is Record Store Day! Tons of record stores in Seattle will be having special events including band signings and special band performances. For the full schedule, check out The Stranger here. Also, a new record store called Spin Cycle is opening TODAY on Broadway at 321 Broadway on Capitol Hill.
– Yogurtland’s opening is tentatively planned for this weekend! [Source]
– A man is auctioning off a jelly bean that looks like it has an imprint of Kate Middleton’s face. [Source]
– NBA has fined Kobe Bryant $100,000 for his offensive slur at a ref. [Source]
– Seann William Scott has checked out of rehab. [Source]
– Catherine Zeta-Jones is currently being treated for bi-polar disorder. [Source]
– Scarlett Johansson has moved in with Sean Penn. [Source]
– Emma Roberts is covering the May issue of Seventeen Magazine. [Source]
– Harry Potter actress Bonnie Wright is engaged to Jamie Campbell Bower. [Source]
– A two-year old boy was given sangria instead of orange juice at a Florida Olive Garden. [Source] rookie mistake
– Learn how to be a jetsetter with Refinery 29’s useful infographic. [Source]
– The world’s oldest man, Walter Breuning has passed away at age 114. [Source] Damn.
Hooray. This is the longest In the News…posting I have ever made.
– Project Runway will start up again on Lifetime beginning July 29th with just a couple of changes. Each episode will now run 90-minutes long and the “Bluefly Accessories Wall” will be replaced by the “Piperlime Accessories Wall”
– Congratulations Jenna Lyons on becoming the new President of J. Crew!
– Carey Mulligan will be on the cover of the October issue of Vogue while Halle Berry receives the coveted September issue cover.
– Last night Glee star Amber Riley sang the National Anthem at the All-Star Game. [Source]
– Victoria’s Secret Angel model Doutzen Kroes is three months pregnant w/ her first child. The father is her boyfriend DJ Sunnery James.
– Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem tied the knot secretly earlier this month.
– Craig Ferguson and wife Megan Cunningham-Wallace are expecting. He announced this via Twitter.
– Actress Keke Palmer graduated high school one year early and plans to attend Howard University in the future.
– Taylor Momsen is the face of Material Girl, a line launched by Madonna and her daughter Lourdes.
– Lindsay Lohan has claimed that she will “kill herself before she goes to jail.” [source]
– Kelly Osbourne has broken things off w/ her fiance Luke Worrall after discovering his unfaithfulness. [source]
– Cheryl Cole is recovering from from her Malaria, but has banned her Girls Aloud bandmates from visiting her in the hospital. [source]
– Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston are engaged and decided to hide it from Sarah Palin, but went to the press first. Hmm…
– Urban Outfitters launched a new jewelry collection today with designers that include: Archive, Erika Pena, BJ by Jules, Calourette, Dara Ettinger, Lizzie Fortunato Jewels, Species by the Thousands and Sabrina Dehoff. Check out the goods here
– Joan Ginter, a math professor from Texas has won the lottery four times. The chances of this happening are one in 18 septillion. 18 septillion is 18 with 24 zeroes behind it! She didn’t win small amounts of money either. “Ginther won $11 million in 1993, $2 million in 2006, $3 million in 2008 and $10 million last month.” She is one lucky lady… today she resides in Las Vegas! Can’t think of a better place for her to live than there. [source]
– Spencer Pratt attempted disguise himself in order to sneak into The Hills series finale event last night in Los Angeles. He would have definitely added an extra kick to the after-show had they actually let him in.
– Stella McCartney will design uniforms for the British athletes competing in the London 2012 Olympics after being named the creative director. [source]
In case you missed it, everyone hates Mel Gibson! This sign was spotted outside a gym in New Jersey.
In Capitol Hill news…
– Octo Sushi on 12th Ave [in the old Crave space] and Genki Sushi in the new Broadway Building are now open!
– So is Homegrown Sandwiches, my favorite organic, sandwich shop located in the Melrose Market.
– This Thursday, the Silver Cloud Inn will be debuting their new restaurant Jimmy’s on Broadway, which will be sort of like “a sports focused classy place that caters to the stadium crowd.” [Source]
– Awhile ago, I tried to make a visit to the local Jamba Juice at 1303 Madison when I discovered it was no longer there. I was sure that there had been a Jamba Juice there, but maybe I missed it by a block? Supposedly, it had been shut down unexpectedly. Now, Crêpan Crepe World, a Japanese-style crepe restaurant is moving in.
– Lourdes “Lola” Leon posting on her mother Madonna’s blog promoting her new line “Material Girl” for Macy’s.
Um. I choose Tavi Gevinson please.
I wish the American Apparel models would look happier. Seeing their poor faces doesn’t really make me want to buy their clothes – same goes for their poses. Due to the poor and failing economy, it only makes sense that clothing and retail stores aren’t doing so well either. Macy’s is closing over thirty of their stores across the country. Sixteen-year old designer Kira Plastina filed for bankruptcy having opened a handful of boutiques for less than a year and has basically retreated back to Russia for the time being. And many many designers are even opting out of the Fall 2009 Mercedes-Benz fashion show held in Bryant Park next month as a way to “cut back”. Why does it seem like everyone is suffering when American Apparel seems to be rising above it all? Everyone knows I love this store, but c’mon simple basics do NOT need to be so expensive.While other competing stores are declining, American Apparel managed to gain 3% this past December. Despite that fact, I hold American Apparel very dear to my heart as well as the raglan pullover as shown above… that I happen to be wearing right now as I type this in Tangerine… which I purchased as a Christmas gift to myself last month before heading back up to school.
Listening to: Trife and Saigon, Mark Ronson and Nate Dogg – Ooh Wee