Up until right about now, I totally thought the show was just called “Siesta Keys.” MTV is advertising this new series as the new “Laguna Beach,” but let’s just be honest with ourselves here…nothing will ever be able to replace the hole in our hearts that was Laguna Beach. Since four of the cast members from Siesta Key were sponsoring The Hills marathon this weekend (which I watched obviously) I decided that I they deserved an hour of my time for the premiere.
- The main character and also narrator – Juliette Porter is unlikeable. There’s a scene where she confronts the girl that her boyfriend (sort of? it’s unclear.) cheated on her with last summer and they end the interaction with saying they should hang out sometime. Why can’t girls just be real with each other?
- In terms of diversity… only one-non white male is a part of the cast. I guess that’s more than can be said about Laguna Beach though.
- Characters Kelsey and Juliette actually look the same. Is that mean to say?
- So the reason why this series is happening is because one of the main characters’s (the guy who happens to have 2 girls fighting over him) dad basically pitched the show to MTV
- For a show that’s “unscripted,” it feels pretty scripted to me.
I should have written this post out while I was watching last night because I think I’m missing a few key thoughts. It’s not a show that I think will be intellectually stimulating for me, but it’s sort of like an awkward mess that you can’t turn away from. How these kids have so much issues at 21/22, I’ll never understand.