03 Jan 2017
Would you eat it?! People come up with the funniest things on the internet, but this one sort of takes the cake. It’s sort of interesting and creative, but gross in a way! I’ve included the recipe at the source if anyone is willing to try this out, but does anyone else find this hard to actually consume? Secondly, does this even taste… good? Please, please, please won’t one of you construct this?
30 Aug 2016
WOW. We didn’t see that one coming! ABC is really stepping up their game to deliver on the surprises. Here’s why this is so unexpected:
- This guy has been on TWO seasons of The Bachelorette. He was the runner-up on both of them and currently he’s on Bachelors in Paradise (a place for the rejects to find love on the spinoff series) I mean… hasn’t this guy had enough chances?
- Uh… totally thought it was going to be Luke. What happened there?
- Nick is currently seeing Jen on Bachelors in Paradise (I realize this isn’t in real time) but they seem pretty happy and moving in a positive direction.
It clearly didn’t work out with Jen and Nick, but geez – what a spoiler announcing that he’s the next Bachelor now when there’s still a season finale to watch next week! I was actually rooting for the Jen and Nick thing so I’m somewhat disappointed that that didn’t last. We’ll have to move on from that so here are the questions I want answered in watching Nick be The Bachelor next season.
- WILL Nick finally find love? Dear god, please say yes.
- Will we find out how Nick continues to make women on the show feel so desirable?
- Will I ever stop looking at Nick like he’s the long lost brother of Spencer Pratt?
Serious questions here, y’all. Also, do you remember when we all hated him for two seasons? It’s like the producers of this franchise have been planning this all along by turning him into the good guy on Bachelors in Paradise and essentially setting him up for success to be the next Bachelor. Nice work!
03 Jul 2016
How do people do it? I feel like this is something I should have mastered by now as an adult, but I really haven’t at all. After getting 3 hours of sleep last night and having to wake up at 5:00 AM to get ready for a 7:40 AM flight, I was pretty much counting on getting some sleep for my 2 hour flight to Seattle. But when that flight came, I was completely unprepared and I’d love to know how people do it? There are so many factors on a flight that I think can deter just about anyone from getting some sleep so here are my thoughts on that and maybe some things I’ve probably been doing wrong.
- How do you get some sleep when there are… natural odors around you that might prevent you from sleeping because you’re trying to find another way to just breathe normally?
- There’s a child behind you. They can’t seem to get their feet firmly planted on the ground.
- Every time we take off, I’m afraid to close my eyes because I fear that someday I’m going to be that one person that is sitting next to one that doesn’t realize they have motion sickness and that is my WORST fear.
- What if you’re in the middle seat (like I always am – I realize that this is sort of my own fault though) and the person in the window needs to get up and use the bathroom?
- You don’t want to miss the flight attendants when they come by with snackies and beverages
- I listen to my music on low when I’m on a flight with my eyes closed. Does the changing of a track affect me from sleeping soundly? Probably and then there’s that whole thing about wanting to switch songs if you don’t like it so you have to open your eyes for that too.
- If you’re in the middle seat, do you just sleep completely upright? These are things that I think about.
Oh man, I really hope I’m not the only one that has these thoughts.
28 Feb 2016
I can’t believe that we’re making an entire post for this, but we have to talk about this song and this music video. I watched the video for the first time on Friday night after being woken up to this song Friday morning as my alarm and at first, I had no idea what I was listening to. A lot of thoughts raced through my head. “What kind of song is this?” “What is this song about – is it really about working from home or is like sexualizing work from home?” I still don’t really know the answer. Here are some other questions/thoughts I have though:
- Why does this music video take place on a construction site? This is the last place that you can work from home.
- Why doesn’t Lauren have any lines in this song?
- Doesn’t the beginning beat of this song remind you of “Take You There” which was on the soundtrack for Rugrats and sung by Mya, Blackstreet, Mase, and Blinky Blink? (Who the hell is Blinky Blink, you ask? That’s another question for us too)
- Is it just me or do all the girls struggle with lip syncing?
- Also, why is this music video so sexual? I feel so uncomfortable knowing that most of them are just around 18 years old!
- Poor Ally, she’s the most awkward in the group for sure. She really doesn’t need to be moving so quickly through her part and I think if she had slowed it down, it would’ve looked better and made sense with the pace of the song.
- The choreography for this is pretty good.
- The girls dancing on the stairs during Ty Dolla $ign’s part is also uncomfortable. I don’t think HE even know what’s going on when he walks in to that room.
- I can’t lie to you – Camila singing all the rifts at the end is totally one of my favorite parts in the song and the part I’m always belting out.
I also listened to this song all the way up to the city yesterday so it’s safe to say that it has grown on me. We’re looking forward to seeing how much of a hit it becomes though. Initially the song was just going to be “Work,” but with Rihanna already coming out with “Work” they decided on “Work from Home.”
07 Feb 2016
When looking ahead to 2016, I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to start buying candles. I had always felt a little bit behind knowing that all the guys I ever dated had candles on their desk or bedside table whereas buying a candle for my home had never even crossed my mind. Candles are sold everywhere, Rite Aid, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, Safeway – but if I was going to get serious about this, I wanted to do my research. I wanted the best of the best and Mandi let me know that the only place to buy them was Anthropologie.
The same day that I landed back in California after spending the holidays in Seattle, I came home, dropped off my luggage and drove straight to Anthropologie. Since this was going to be a new hobby/collection, I thought I would start off small and purchase 1, but after sniffing almost every candle in the store, limiting myself just didn’t seem like a good idea. Instead, I bought the three pictured above. Three different sizes – all different scents and in three different tins so that they could be re-used. More on that in a future post though!
I realized though that when it came to candles, I was kind of a n00b. I had a lot of questions – all of which Mandi answered for me:
- Should you light more than one at a time?
- How do you know which two to light together?
- What am I supposed to feel when I light candles?
- Will they set off my smoke detector after I blow them out?
- Do you put the lid on top of the candle afterwards? What purpose do those lids serve?
- Do people light candles during the day?
Also, this is embarrassing to admit, but continues to prove how much of an amateur I am with candles – the first night that I lit them I got really close to smell it and a piece of my hair just breezed right on through into the flame.
I purchased these candles at the beginning of January – happy to announce that I have since returned to Anthro to buy two more candles! We’ve got a problem here. I think it’s going to be an expensive collection to keep, but at the same time it’s so nice and relaxing to light them at the end of a work day while I’m writing late night emails or blogging. They also make my apartment smell 110% better!
29 Nov 2015
This photo above is not from the first season, but we love Christmakah so much that it seemed like the perfect picture to include. Mandi and I were all set to have a night out yesterday in the city, but after settling in after a weekend of Thanksgiving festivities and a home cooked meal, we #optedinside for a viewing of the movie Dope and the first two episodes of The OC! Yes, the classic television series is now streamable on the CW Seed. We didn’t know what that meant either, but it worked and if we didn’t have an early morning today, we probably would’ve gotten through half the season. It’s been years since we fell in love with this series and now watching it when we’re much older and not pre-teens we seem to have noticed a few things we didn’t recognize before.
- Seth and Ryan are the cutest best friends
- As much as you kind of hate how dramatic and silly Marissa Cooper can be, you kind of love her. You root for her because she’s so troubled.
- Summer was awful in the first two episodes. Terrible lines, terrible personality and she left Coop laying at the front of her door blacked out
- Sandy Cohen was the best chracter on the show that was a parent.
- Why does Seth think that he can sail to Tahiti on Summer Breeze?
- The pool house is better than Seth’s bedroom. Ryan had it made.
- Did we ever see the Cooper’s dog again after the first episode?
- When Seth throws Ryan under the bus and outs him for his Chino past at the party – that was a lame thing for him to do.
- “This is how it’s done in Orange County!” Classic.
Mandi is originally from Orange County and I just got back from there for Thanksgiving so we were having a moment, clearly.
03 Oct 2015
I really like this cheeky Vogue series that they’ve been doing with celebrities. It’s kind of nice to see them in a low-key intimate environment, but still allowing viewers to get to know them in a different setting than you would on a red carpet. I’ve been following Emily on Instagram for a little while now and I find her to be pretty fascinating. She’s come a long way from being “just the girl in the Robin Thicke music video” and I’m excited to see what’s next (especially since her last movie was a bust.)
17 Jun 2015
Readers – I am loving that I get to spend a lot more time on my blog lately and as of recently have been feeling a huge burst of creativity and inspiration in the types of posts we can create for Yow Yow! I’m also digging on the engagement with more comments and interaction with you all. I wouldn’t mind getting a little bit more personal on Yow Yow! though so I’d love to invite you all to ask me some questions that I can answer for you in an upcoming post.
Feel free to leave a comment with your question or shoot me an email at Katie@itsyowyow.com
17 Feb 2015
– 5 of the best spots in Seattle to get your mac and cheese on [Seattle Refined]
– The profession that will get you the most dates and the professions that are attracted to each other [Refinery29]
– Careless tweeting and how it can change your life…for the worse. [NY Times]
– The time Taylor Swift gave breakup advice to a fan. [BuzzFeed]
– 9 Questions you wish you could ask Ariana Grande [Vox]
01 Feb 2015
Victoria Beckham has always perceived as the iciest Spice Girl, but I actually found her sense of humor in this video to be quite refreshing. Who knew she could be so cheeky!