The events that occurred this weekend were deeply upsetting. We have a couple more posts tonight that aren’t as happy and chipper as we usually portray on Yow Yow! so before those happen, I’m leaving you with this: Marshawn Lynch being his best self in Houston, Scotland and with Skittles.
As we were writing our top posts of 2015 the other day, I realized that a lot of them hadn’t been written by me! They were, in fact, written by Mandi and she’s so deserving to have many of those posts receive that many views this year because she had worked hard on them. In addition to that, she was honest and vulnerable and I know through speaking with her she spent a lot of time putting her thoughts together and getting second opinions from Eric and I. After writing that post though I was a little embarrassed that my own writing hadn’t been the majority, but I realized that even though many of the posts didn’t receive as much viewership, they were still very enjoyable to write and I didn’t want them to go unnoticed. So here are our top 12 posts (one for almost every month!) and the reasons why they meant something to me.
- Super Bowl 49 – We’re Comin’ For You – Never have I ever written a post with so much emotion! I still remember this day like it was yesterday. That Packers game was nuts and I remember being heartbroken watching the majority of that game and wanting to throw in the towel and drive all the way home to South Bay before the game was even over! It’s not bandwagoning, it’s just heartbreak and disappointment. Luckily though, we had reconvened at Mandi’s to finish it out and it was worth the wait because that’s where this photo comes in.
- “After Us” – Watching this Wong Fu Productions video this year was super relevant to me and it was a great reminder to pick myself up again after a split. Additionally though, I became much more aware of the videos that Wong Fu put out and found myself watching video after video after video. I’ve never been the most “Asian Asian,” but I have to admit that I do find comfort in watching these videos that feature predominantly Asian characters and their life experiences similar to mine. It’s kind of an interesting way for me to identify a little bit more with my roots when it’s not my usual.
- I’m 25. – I feel very blessed this year to have had the best birthday celebration that I’ve ever had. Thank you so much to everyone that helped ring in my 25th birthday and for making it so great. It really has been a year of fun, experiences, and lessons (some good some bad, but still worth it!)
- Wedding Rules You Can Throw Out – Quite a few people in my life have come to me this year asking me for advice and opinions on wedding ideas and wedding planning in general. Now, I’ve never been close to marriage, but I am really flattered that people value my thoughts on this. It’s not for everyone though. There are definitely people that disagree with my views against tradition, but I felt really good about writing this post and laying it all out on the table.
- Find Foxy Films – When my brother’s friend Phil started his own film production company and started sharing short stories, I was intrigued. These are the types of stories I LOVE sharing on Yow Yow! – so raw, real, and personal. Phil is embarking on his own battle right now with Stage 3 Nodular Hogdkin’s Lymphoma, but that isn’t standing in his way. It’s inspiring to see him continue pursuing his dreams even while he’s still receiving treatment.
- Natalie Tran – Asians in Media Talk – This is one of the first times that I ever struggle and discuss the issues that I’ve faced with my identity and being an Asian American. This was a particularly difficult post for me to write because I like to think it’s 2015 and this stuff doesn’t have to exist, but it is real and there are times when I get uncomfortable having to answer questions about my “Asian-ness” to other people and face the prejudice from others about those that I choose to date as well. I’m very optimistic about this and how things will look in the future and I think these things just take time.
- The Hundreds Staff Interview: Alina – That time I watched a video and found that I was watching my literal twin.
- Wedding Mondays – It’s so hard to choose a favorite! I didn’t think that I would be able to, but honestly this one made the most sense to share. I actually knew Justin in college so watching this video made this all the more memorable for me. I’m sure that next year when my own friends get married, they will find themselves on this list too.
- The Best Time to Visit Seattle – We took quite a few trips this year in 2015, but we never have a bad time when we return home to Seattle. During this trip, I got to see some of my favorite people and eat all of the things that I crave when I’m in the Bay Area.
- The Instagram Project – It sometimes seems a little crazy how much time I may spend thinking about the perfect picture to post, but Instagram is a great daily outlet when I can’t get to writing a post on Yow Yow! everyday. While it does take some added time, I’ve actually enjoyed the pictures that have come out of this project even more and am looking forward to continuing on with it into 2016.
- Last Weekend’s Halloween Wedding – I just noticed – today – that the title of the post said “Weeding” instead of “Wedding.” How did no one catch this?! Oy… so embarrassed. Anyways, this was the first time that I could ever go through and talk about every detail of a wedding – what I liked and disliked – cause I didn’t know the couple! We won’t have this opportunity for a long time! Also it was my first themed wedding ever – v. steam punk and it was quite the experience.
- What We Wore: Holiday Party – Because making a whole day out of one evening event with your BFF is always the best option.
It was so hard to narrow this post down to just 12 favorites and this took me the whole evening to go through a whole year of posts. I know I’ve written repeatedly this year that I didn’t get to write as much as I would have liked to and at the volume I’m used to like in the past, but I’m very proud of what I’ve put out. There are things that I’ve written on Yow Yow! in 2015 that I could’ve never had the experience or knowledge to write about back in 2009. I think this is the reason why I sometimes feel the need to keep pushing. There’s so much more for us to discuss on Yow Yow! and it’s important that we see it through. Thank you for reading. 🙂
I don’t know about all of you, but we’re getting incredibly excited for the Super Bowl on Sunday! To get all of you on the same level, here is Marshawn’s press conference with Skittles. I just feel so bad for how much he gets fined. Won’t everyone just leave him alone and let him be him?
I can’t get enough of this. To celebrate the Seahawks win yesterday, Michael Bennett hijjacked a police officer’s bicycle and took a ride around the field on it. This is one happy guy.
Here’s the original below, but we obviously love the version above more.
OMG how amazing was today’s game? Pooping our pants, passing out, and almost vomitting were just a few of things that Mandi and I thought were going to happen to us. I know, that’s really gross and stuff and not really appropriate for Yow Yow! but the end of the game had us nearly pulling our hair out. I really wish I would’ve gotten a photo of the scene that was Mandi’s living room – both her and I screaming and yelling and Eric with his head in his hands and sitting on the upper ledge of their couch while Ryan explained to us some rules that we forgot about.
For the first time ever, I joined my friends in watching a Seahawks game at a bar. There happens to be a Seattle bar pretty close to Mandi’s place called Danny Coyle’s, but I arrived there at 10:55 AM this morning – well before kickoff – and found myself standing in line. Yep, there was a line before 11:00 AM at a bar. When we got pretty close to kick off time, I realized that I probably wasn’t going to get in so Ryan and I split up from our friends and found ourselves at another bar. While it’s exciting to watch with a huge group of strangers that are all a little bit more crazier than us, I found myself being pushed and shoved a bit which wasn’t fun. Also you know what else isn’t great? Not sitting for an entire game! After the third quarter, my friends and I decided that we were going to leave our respective bars and regroup at Mandi’s place to watch the last quarter and boy… was that a quarter.
I don’t want to say that I didn’t think that we could make a comeback because we have plenty of times before, but there was a point in time where I was nervous and realized my anxiety levels reaching its max. That’s nothing new when I’m watching the Seahawks though.
Doug Baldwin, I love you. Pete, when you’re happy, we’re all happy and Russell, don’t cry – you’re going to the Super Bowl AGAIN!!!!! Seattle, I’m so happy to have come from you. Let’s do this one more time.
Just in case you missed Saturday’s game, here are the only GIFs worth watching that will tell you all you need to know about our game against the Panthers:
This… and then this incredible 90-yard run. Kam Bam, you had quite the game on Saturday and now I’m even more excited for us to go against the Packers!
Knowing what I know about how this year has been going for Yow Yow! I was a little bit nervous as to which posts would reach the top. It’s been a slow year, but it hasn’t been all that quiet. We’ve had a lot of fun with the blog and we’re going to continue doing so in the next year as well!
With that, here are our top 10 posts from the year 2014:
- 18 Types of Asian Girls
- Yow Yow! Visits Molly Moon’s!
- 16 Reasons Why We Should Root for the Seahawks @ the Super Bowl
- Our Beef With The Bachelor
- Coachella 2014 Street Style (sorry for the broken links!)
- The Way Way Back Home
- Ariana Grande’s Dance Moves (and broken YouTube link womp womp…)
- Troian Bellisario and Patrick J. Adams Are Engaged!
- Jamie Chung and Bryan Greenberg Are Engaged!
- C. Lowe By Scarlet & Gold
Since we already had a “Photo of the Day” yesterday, we decided to push back this sweet sweet moment (so we can remember that the Seahawks won yesterday) of Deshawn Shead proposing to his girlfriend on the field after we beat Denver.
Hai Richard Sherman.
My Seahawks gave me an anxious-ridden win today, but we pulled through nonetheless! Because of that, I’m currently craving Kukuruza Beast Corn from the Seattle popcorn shop. I’ve never actually tried the lime and blueberry mixture, but I’m completely mesmerized by these colors and the Seattle Seahawks spirit! Unfortunately, this was only available for a limited time, but I’m crossing my fingers that a) it will be back and b) the next time it’s back I’m actually back in Seattle to snag myself a bag of it!
This shop is just my favorite – it’s pretty exciting to see how much they’ve expanded since I last ate their popcorn in college!