Google is and always will be just a fascinating company to me. Some of the things they work on and the different teams that they house sometimes overwhelm me because not only is it just a lot in volume and size, but Google has their hands on everything – apps, phones, home, maps, etc. Pretty soon, sometimes I worry that we won’t really need anything else because Google will just replace everything and make it better. I didn’t know that they opened a pop up recently in Soho until I read about it on Doobybrain, but definitely thought it was interesting enough to share. If you get a chance to view it in real life, you should!
As much as I love taking the trips and looking forward to writing about them on Yow Yow! When I sit down to actually start writing the post, I find myself dreading it. These are always the meatiest and because of that, I want to make sure that everything is perfect and not leave anything out.
I went to New York for the first time in March with Mandi and I couldn’t have imagined a better travel partner. I’m not just saying that because she writes on Yow Yow! with us. I’m mostly saying this because it just seemed like a no-brainer – we already really enjoy spending time with each other, but we’ve never spent THIS much time together. It could’ve gone either way, however, it was definitely more positive for us. Also, Mandi graduated from Columbia a few years back when she was there for grad school so she really knew her way around the city. We all know that I would have had a tough time surviving that if I were on my own.
Similar to me, Mandi likes to plan things out so there were things she wanted to do/see and things I also wanted to do/see as well. Together, we compiled a list and made up a plan for every single day that we were there. It’s not surprising that we didn’t hit everything, but we did A LOT and I felt like all the walking I did in that trip was enough to last me a year. Another wonderful part about our trip was that we left some pockets open to fill. Not everything was planned to a tee and I really appreciated that because that allowed the both of us to take some time apart and do our own thing or catch up with our own friends without the other person feeling like they were being dragged into it.
When I let people know that I was going on this trip, a lot of people were surprised that this was my first time. To be honest, I didn’t think I would be 26 when I went, but it’s not terrible. When I was younger and in college, I didn’t have any friends that lived there. It was also difficult to make the time to take a trip like this since I was in school and didn’t have as much $$$ back then. Better late than never? I felt like when I left on our last day that I had a greater sense of appreciation for the city and the things that I saw, did, and ate. I’m not sure if I would have had that same feeling had I been younger.
photo cred | Mashable
SoHo is stepping up their retail game and if other retailers and shops don’t jump on the bandwagon soon, they may fall behind with the times. Mashable published this article on how several stores are implementing digital features into shopping and evolving the experience for customers. At Warby Parker, customers can utilize the store’s photo booth to snap photographs of themselves in different styles of frames for which they can share with friends looks that they like via email or print them out like a true photo booth strip.
These are the retail stores of the future: hyper-efficient, digitally enhanced showrooms that serve as physical storefronts for online retail operations.
For more details on how the shopping experience is changing, click here for the full article.
– Happy 23rd birthday to my favorite Gleek Kevin McHale!
– Forever 21 is threatening to sue WTForever21.com blogger Rachel Kane for defamation and trademark infringement. [Source]
– Pantone has released 175 new colors since 2003 bringing their current color roster to 2,100. [Source]
– Anna Wintour accepted her Webby Award last night with a five-word speech: Sometimes, geek can be chic.
Watch the video of her acceptance here.
– Natalie Portman has given birth to a boy! [Source]
– Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris called off their wedding slash she became runaway bride. [Source]
– Tobey Maguire is featured in Prada’s menswear fall/winter ad campaign. [Source]
– Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa has trademarked “How easy is that?” [Source]
– Victoria and David Beckham have asked Eva Longoria to be the godmother of their unborn child. [Source]
–Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants author Ann Brashares has written a fifth book in the series to be released as the girls go through adulthood. The book came out today. [Source]
– Aritzia’s flagship store located in Soho will open tomorrow!
– The Nordstrom half yearly sale for men begins Friday!
– The St. Regis Hotel has debuted their 1,700 square foot Tiffany and Co. themed suite on the 14th floor. [Source]
– The Foo Fighters are poking fun at tour riders by releasing a coloring book about their needs. [Source]
– Could Ben and Jerry’s possibly have a new flavor in the works called “Schweddy Balls?” [Source]
– There’s a new issue surrounding expecting mom’s to be called Mommyrexia for women who attempt at staying skinny while being pregnant. WOW… that sounds like the a terrible idea. [Source]
– Facebook lost 6M users last month. Could the social networking website be at its peak? [Source]
– Can anyone explain why the windows of Seattle businesses and restaurants keep getting smashed? [Source]
– Two people died this past weekend at Bonnaroo. [Source]
– Come see the Friendly Fires on tour this summer and fall. [Source]
– Atmosphere has announced the Family Vacation tour. [Source]
– Watch these kids react to Lady Gaga.
– Model Coco Rocha has become the newest Victoria’s Secret model representing the pink collection. [source] Coco will also be updating their style file blog for British Vogue for July.
Gina Meyers has put out a new book entitled Love at First Bite: The Unofficial Twilight Cookbook. Oh my goodness.
– Oh hey Happy Canada Day!!
– The hit television series of the summer, Pretty Little Liars, has added on 12 more episodes for their season.
– The Hollister store located in the Soho District has been shut down temporarily because of an infestation of bedbugs. Gross. [source]
– Cynthia Rowley will be collaborating on a new diaper design w/ Pampers. [source]
– More proof that MTV’s The Hills is fake? Yes, please. Guess it doesn’t matter anymore now that the show is ending.[source]
– Actor Ruper Grint has been lending his voice to the Harry Potter video games ever since The Order of Phoenix and has been contributing since. [source]
– An all-star cast is brewing for both Scream 4 and The Social Network.
Scream 4 has cast: Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Adam Brody, Rory Culkin, David Arquette, and Marley Shelton
The Social Network includes: Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Rashida Jones, Andrew Garfield, Trent Reznor, and Brenda Song.
– Rachel Dratch is preggers!
– Actress Jane Lynch will play the role of Sam’s [Jennette McCurdy] mother in the Nickelodeon series iCarly.
– Maroon 5 has released the CD cover artwork of their new album Hands All Over. It is potentially nsfw so you can check it out here
– Kelly Bensimon is struggling to stay relevant. She plans to release a work out video.
– The broken up Bachelor couple Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi have been offered to pose in both Playgirl and Playboy magazine respectively. Word on the street is that Vienna will have the cover in the near future and explains that it’s really for the money. No shameeee. [Source]
– Charlize Theron has made an appearance in Brandon Flowers’ new music video for his solo single “Crossfire.”
– Tori Spelling’s husband Dean McDermott has been put into intensive care today after a motorcycle accident. He has a collapsed lung. [source]
Crystal Renn was known for being basically a spokes model for full size figured models. A recent shoot w/ photographer Nicholas Routzen is now shedding a different light on Crystal – one that might make her seem almost unrecognizable.
– Who’s getting married on July 10th, 2010?
- John Krasinski and Emily Blunt
- Carrie Underwood and Mike Fisher
- MTV VJ La La Vasquez and Carmelo Anthony
– Camille Donatacci has filed for divorce from her husband Kelsey Grammer. Awww Fraiser!
Daily dose of cuteness courtesy of PeoplePets
– Lily Allen will be doing the music for the Bridget Jone’s Diary Musical. [Source]
In silly rules and laws…
– The French Parliament has just approved a law in which calling your spouse a foul name will earn you up to three years in jail and a $93,000 fine. They are calling this type of verbal abuse a psychological offense or criminal offense if you will. [source]
– Anthony Williams, a senator from Philadelphia, has decided to blame the plain white tee for gang violence and street gangs. He believes the elimination of huge white t-shirts will “decrease the power of street gangs” who prefer to hang out on street corners.
“During these tough economic times, we have to set our priorities and be a role model for the country. These children are looking for us to stand up for them, and we have to turn this ‘white-T culture’ in a different direction.”
Hey, sir, the white tee is a common staple for everyone. It’s efficient, fashionable [even in tall tee form] classic, and inexpensive. Next you’re going to tell us that we can’t wear blue denim.