I’ve actually seen Ariana Grande perform a cover of Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” before via YouTube at the White House, but oh my goodness this latest version while she was on tour is so so good. I’m finally seeing her tomorrow and I’ve been excited for this all week. Not to mention, I’ve been waiting for this very day since I bought pre-sale tickets back in September (7 months ago!)
CHVRCHES – It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay (Whitney Houston cover)
It’s weird to say that this was one of my favorite songs when it came out at age 8, but it totally was. I loved my Mariah and my Whitney way back when and even though I’d never gone through serious heart break at that age, it was a song that I grew to love. To this day, I still categorize it as one of my favorite girl anthems so when I learned that CHVRCHES did a synth-like cover of this hit, I knew I was going to enjoy it.
– Supermodel Agyness Deyn came forward earlier this week to announce that she is 29-years old, which is six years older than the age stated on her CV. [Source]
– Stefano Pilati has “left the YSL building.” Pilati has been the creative director over at YSL since 2004. [Source]
– Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast is designing a line for Urban Outfitters. [Source]
– Glee’s Idina Menzel will be going on tour. [Source]
– Warner Music has launched a YouTube channel. [Source]
– Despicable Me 2 teaser trailer
– Emma Watson will star in Sofia Coppola’s new film titled, “The Bling Ring” about a group of fashion-obsessed teenagers who break into the homes of celebrities and eventually get caught. It’s inspired by a true story…and Lifetime already did it…last year. [Source]
– Lindsay will make her 239479th comeback this weekend when she hosts Saturday Night Live.
– Jennifer Love Hewitt turned her Lifetime movie, The Client List into Lifetime television series, The Client List. [Source]
– Bristol Palin is getting a docuseries on Lifetime. “This show will reveal the real Bristol Palin and her journey as a daughter, a mother and a young woman making her way in the world.” Um…what?!
– Meet the newest contestants for Dancing With the Stars. [Source]
– Casting has begun for the new CW Sex and the City prequel pilot, The Carrie Diaries, and it looks like AnnaSophia Robb will play a young Carrie. [Source]
– Oprah Winfrey will interview the late Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown’s daughter Bobbi Kristina exclusively, which will air on Sunday, March 11th at 9PM on OWN. [Source]
– Top Pot Doughnuts are headed to Bellevue Square. [Source]
– Capitol Hill’s Molly Moon’s is taking over the old Flora & Henri shop to create a Willy Wonka-esque “kitchen on display” that will highlight their specialty ice cream and signature cones being made. The space is set to open in the summer. [Source]
– Skillet will call the Seattle Center home. [Source]
– EMP’s Sound Off! finals are tomorrow night and we’ve got a Seattle University band in the running: Feet. Check out the rest of the acts here. I like these guys a lot!
– Jan Berenstain passed away this week at 88. This one was my favorite because I went through a phase as a kid where I loved seeing pictures of illustrated food/candy. I kid you not, another one of my favorite books was a children’s book on the affects of diabetes.
– Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose are now engaged! The couple have been dating for over a year. [Source]
– Ke$ha turned 25 and Justin Bieber turned 18 this week.
– US Weekly shows the evolution of Lindsay Lohan’s face and it ain’t pretty. [Source]
– Lea Michele and Cory Monteith – romantically involved? US Weekly believes so. [Source]
– Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have announced the birth of their newborn son, Samuel Garner Affleck. [Source]
– …and Snooki is preggers. [Source]
– Lamar Odom has been dropped by the Dallas Mavericks and has been sent down to the NBA Development League. OH NO!! POOR LAM LAM 🙁 [Source]
– Actress Kaley Cuoco has called off her engagement to Josh Resnik. [Source]
– Natalie Portman had a secret wedding and is already married to Benjamin Millipied. [Source]
Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love For You
The coroner has announced this morning that Houston’s cause of death was due to mixing prescription drugs, Xanax, and alcohol; not from drowning in the bathtub. This is so sad to hear. The music industry truly lost a legend this weekend.
photo cred | Billboard via Getty Images
- Did anyone see Bruno Mars’ silly tantrum backstage after Adele won for best pop vocalist?
- Chris Brown. Quit your lip synching or gtfo the stage.
- I don’t think I could ever get sick of The Foo Fighters.
- I actually enjoyed Dave Grohl’s speech and appreciate him for voicing his opinion, but it’s a shame they cut him off…
- I could’ve sworn I saw a twinkle in Mark Foster’s eye when he was singing The Beach Boys’ “Wouldn’t It Be Nice.” My heart melted because it felt like he was just singing straight to me.
- John Legend grooving to The Beach Boys was also quite adorable.
- The Beach Boys are looking and sounding pretty great for their age! It feels like just yesterday I was watching them on that one episode of Full House.
- Nope Chris Brown, we don’t have to forgive you. The Grammy’s can put you in our faces all they want, but I’m not budging.
- Even though it wasn’t well received, I loved Taylor Swift’s dress during her performance of “Mean.” Now if I could only find out who the designer was…
- Neil Patrick Harris is a babe.
- I am still amazed by Katy Perry every time I hear anything about her and her music. Does anyone remember the poor review I gave her nearly two years ago? She’s grown as an artist definitely, but I’m not taking back anything I said. Her new song has potential for being the new girl anthem of 2012 though.
- Adele SLAYED w/ her performance!
- Bon Iver for Best New Artist – YAY! Great speech.
- Jennifer Hudson’s tribute to Whitney Houston: Flawless
- Nicki Minaj’s performance is not as family-friendly as I thought it would be. It was downright terrifying.
- Adele is also the loveliest human being ever. What a doll! She totally deserved all of her awards tonight.
- (and none for Lady Gaga – sad day)
On an important related note, this HelloGiggles post about why people shouldn’t be okay with Chris Brown performing at the Grammy’s is quite insightful. I’ve had a similar opinion for awhile, but usually when I talk about that I make jabs at his performance and the more obvious scandal. This writer, however, has got some pretty solid facts and it is worth reading. And not to start something controversial, but the reason why that HelloGiggles post is mentioned on Yow Yow is so we can avoid things like this. It’s important for all of us to remember that there’s a border between a play on words or a play off pop culture, but this is not one of those times. It’s not cute anymore especially when it involves Chris Brown. Typing things like this out as a tweet is not the same as feeling the same way or wanting to be in that situation. Not being able to tell the difference between these things frightens me and makes me fear for the safety of other young women that have this notion in their head that it is okay to say these things.
Iconic musician, Whitney Houston, has passed away at the age of 48. Houston has won a number of Grammy’s including for album and record of the year. Near the end of her musical career, Houston was defeated by her constant drug use and even recently as reported by Ohnotheydidnt.
As a child, I absolutely adored Whitney as a singer so despite the news surrounding her death, I would prefer to remember her for being an incredible and talented musician. Her classic hits include, “I Will Always Love You,” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” My personal favorites though are definitely, “Heartbreak Hotel,” and “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.” RIP Whitney.
The 8-year old Katie singing along to this song is weeping inside.